Chapter Twenty

Chapter Nineteen

            “We are so happy to have you here Cameron.” Mrs. Belk tells me as she sits down at the table. When me and Xander had gotten to his house their dinner was ready and he forced me to sit and eat with them.

            “Thank you for having me.” I say softly, my eyes staying on my plate full of food I don’t feel like eating.

            “Oh honey, don’t thank us, it is our pleasure!” she exclaims, looking to her husband and he nods, a smile on his lips also.

            “You know, you were our favorite one of Marcus’s girlfriends and when you broke up I was so upset, but now you are dating Xander and have a chance to be my daughter-in-law again.” She chuckles and my eyes fly up to meet hers, and then to look at Xander who sits beside me.

            “We aren’t dating mom.” He tells her in a mumble and she laughs.

            “Not yet.”

            “Yeah I know. With her sleeping in your room I am sure it is bound to happen sooner or later.” Marcus snaps softly before stabbing into a piece of meat on his plate and shoving it into his mouth.

            “Your just jealous she never slept in your bed.”

            “Yes she did, but how would you know? You were locked up a full year, you don’t know who I had in my bed.”

            “Obviously Cameron wasn’t the only one you had in it.” Xander snaps and Mr. Belk sets his glass down hard, making me jump.

            “Enough Boys.” He announces and both of them fall silent.

            The table is quiet for a moment and I stare at my food.

            “Sweetheart,”  Mrs. Belk begins and I look up to her. “When is the funeral.”

            “Mom.” Says Xander at the same time Mr. Belk says “Marta.”

            I feel all of their eyes on me and I clear my throat, my eyes meeting Mrs. Belk’s as she opens her mouth the apologize.

            “Tuesday.” I tell her and she nods slightly, her eyes full of sympathy and understanding.

            Everyone goes silent now, their forks and silverware grinding against the plates, filling the silence.

            “Please eat something.” He says into my ear as Xander looks at my still empty plate.

            “I’m not hungry.” I tell him and I have the sudden urge to burst into laughter. At the sight of my slightly smile his eyebrows pull down before he remembers, then he turns away and begins eating again.

            I look at each of them, taking in the resemblances of the father and son and mother and son. Marcus looked like his mother and Xander looked like both his father and his mother.

            I look at Marcus, my eyes scoping his face. Many girls would have died to be in my place, to be with the brother and have the other chasing after her.

            Wait, what am I saying? Me and Xander aren’t together.

            But do I want us to be?

            What Rick right? Am I jealous?

            I am snapped back into reality when chairs are scrapped away from the table, dragging heavily against the floor. I watch as everyone gets up from the table and Mrs. Belk comes to me and grabs the edge of my plate.