Chapter One

Chapter One

One Year Later

            The party was one year ago. And it was a legend.

            Turns out the cops were mostly there on the count of they were looking for Xander, and because someone had called the cops. Xander had practically sacrificed himself to help me get away and to this day I don’t understand it. But it had been our little secret for I haven’t told anyone and he is still in jail, so he couldn’t either. Even though I doubt he would even is he wasn’t in jail. In fact he would probably deny the whole thing.

            No one knows why Xander Belk was being looked for that night, and no one knows why he was still in jail. Well, everyone except his brother Marcus, who was now my boyfriend, but I haven’t asked him.    

“Cameron! Marcus is here!” my mom calls from the bottom of the stairs as I look myself over in the mirror.

            I have thrown on a pair of jean shorts and a white one shoulder shirt, with my since I woke up late. My hair hangs down to my elbows, curling slightly at the ends with its natural waves.

            “Coming!” I call back, grabbing my bag and running downstairs. I am only wearing socks on my feet and I almost fall the rest of the ways down the stairs. When I have finally made it to the bottom step I peek around the side of the stairs and find one of my baby blue Converse. I throw it on blindly and then peek in the living room, my eyes searching the room but not finding it.

            I storm down the hallway, passing the kitchen and to the front door where I find my other Converse, I throw it on and my hand falls onto the door knob.

            “Bye Mom, see you later!” I call as I throw it open, my eyes falling onto Marcus’s jacked up black Dodge pickup.

            “Marcus is in here Cameron!”

            I stop in the doorway and groan, knowing exactly what I will find in the kitchen when I turned around and carried my already-late-butt in there. I turn around and hurry to the kitchen, raising my eyebrows and lifting my arms.

            “Come on! We’re going to be late!” I say, my voice exasperated.

            “We’re late every day.” Marcus chuckles, shoving a forkful of pancake into his mouth. My mother stands on the other side of the counter that he sits at, a smile on her face as she looks from me to him, then back to me, but finally, her eyes rest of Marcus.

            If it wasn’t against the law, there would be no doubt in my mind that she would go after him.

            “Come on!”I groan and he chuckles, popping half of the last piece of bacon from his plate into his mouth, leaving the other half of it in his hand as he looks to my mother and gives her one of his award winning smiles.

            “Thank you for breakfast again Ms. Taylor.” He says and she smiles, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, fiddling like a school girl.

            “You know you are welcome Marcus. And you also know to call me Casey.”

            I watch as he smiles to her before looking to me as he walks towards the doorway I stand in. He raises his eyebrows at me and I stifle my laughter. We walk out of the kitchen and towards the front door.

            “You have fun tonight Cameron!” she calls and I look to Marcus before glancing behind my shoulder at my mother, my eyebrows pulled down in confusion for I didn’t know what she was talking about.