Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

            We sit on the couch, flipping through the channels. Our eyes staring absently at the TV screen before I remember something.

            “Hold on a sec.” I tell him softly.

            I reach over and grab the phone off the receiver before dialing back my aunt’s number and biting my nails.

            “Hello?” she says, her voice hoarse and empty, much like mine.

            “Hey Aunt Helen, its me, Cameron.” I tell her slightly and I hear her sniffle.

            “Sweetheart.” She says, her voice breaking. “How are you holding up?”

            “I don’t like that question.” I tell her frankly and I see Xander look over to me before quickly looking to the screen again, I know he is listening in.

            She is silent before I hear a small sigh.

            “I am going and buying a plane ticket for you tomorrow, then you can come and live here. I am already having someone come to put the house on the market and we will go and get your mother’s things when the place is sold.”

            “I’m not leaving.”

            “Sweetheart.. you cannot stay there…”

            “I can, and I will. I am seventeen, a legal age for a girl to stay by herself. My mother has the house paid for and I will get a job and pay the bills and pay for my food. But other than that, I can stay here. So you can tell that realtor that they can take the house advertisement and shove it up his ass, and if you don’t tell him, I will.” I snap, irritated that everyone is underestimating me.

            “Cameron… you cannot stay there alone, you cannot stay with all the memories and her things.. they will just make everything harder…”

            “Your wrong. I will stay here with my mother’s things, in my mother’s house, and with all the memories. Because unlike you, I do not want to forget my mother, I want to remember everything about her. And the thing about selling her things? No. I would rather die before you sell her things for money that you kept for yourself. I would rather you not call me anymore, only contact me when you find out when the funeral is.” And with that, I hung up.

            I take a deep breath and find Xander looking at me from the corner of my eyes.

            My insides begin itching uncontrollably and I look down to the crease in my arm and rub the bruises.

            I pick up my phone and message Sage silently.

            Is there a party tonight?

            I set my phone down and to the tv before my insides begin itching worse.

            Yes. Wanna ride? It’s out at Jack’s.

            I don’t answer her before looking to Xander, who has looked over to me at the sound of my pone vibrating.

            “Want to go to a party?” I ask him and he stiffens, looking down at the crease in my arm, my fingers that are rubbing the bruises.

            “No.” he says simply before looking back to the TV.

            “Well I am going” I shrug before getting up and walking towards the stairs before he grabs my hand as I pass and pulls me to him as he stands.