Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

            After I leave the hospital, I go to the beach. It is still dark but the sun glimmers slightly in the distance for it is reaching morning. I get out of my car and walk down the pier until I have reached the steps.

            I have removed my shoes at the car so now, as I cross the beach to the waters edge, I can feel the sand sliding in between my toes. When I have reached the water’s edge, the waves brush at my ankles, pulling me, beckoning me to come with them.

            The wind blows against my skin, sending a shiver and goosebumps crawling up my arms. I hug myself slighting, sliding my hands up and down the skin of my arms at attempt of warming myself.

            I slightly wish I brought a coat.

            The sun rises more and more each moment and I watch it. Soon I sit down, ignoring the chill that the water sends through me as I brushed my upper thighs and bottom.

            I hear the sound of voices and look over my shoulder and find a girl and boy walking across the beach, they are holding hands and tucked in the crook of the boy’s arm is a blanket.

            “Awe Brandon, we missed some of it.” The girl complains, stopping in her footsteps and looking sadly out at the horizon. He tugs on her hand slightly and smiles.

            “There are always other days. Lets just watch the rest of this one, then we will come back another day.”

            The girl smiles at his proposal and begins walking with him again. Right at the edge of the water they lay down their blanket and sit down, the girl snuggling close to the boy as he keeps his arm tightly around her.

            My heart aches slightly at the sight and I turn away and back out at the sunrise. The rays from the sun shine onto the water, making it look like diamonds glistening across the surface.

            I turn back around, glancing over my shoulder, only to stand and walk back to my car when I find the girl and boy making out on their blanket.

∞        

            How is he?

            I sent this an hour ago, but have received no response from Xander which both irritates and worries me.

            My mother calls me and reminds me that my birthday is tomorrow and I sigh, forgetting the ‘special’ day even was getting close.        

            “You are turning the big 17.” She exclaims. “Where did the time go? It feels like just yesterday I was changing your diapers!”

            I smile slightly.

            “But don’t go running off with a boy now.” She tells me, her voice joking but holding some seriousness.

            “Mom-…”

            “I am being serious, you can legally leave home and there isn’t anything I could do about it. But just remember, you couldn’t get far in your life for a year, couldn’t buy a house, a car-…”

            “Mom,” I interrupt. “I’m not leaving. Kay?”

            “Okay Honey.”

            She asks me how school is and how everyone is doing. She didn’t know that Marcus and I had broke up and what he had done. She didn’t know that he was in the hospital, didn’t know what had happened, didn’t know anything.