Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

            “Cameron.” Mrs. Belk says when she sees me walking down the hospital hallway. Her tone sounds relieved and she and I hurry the rest of the way to meet each other. She wraps me in a embrace and I squeeze her back quickly before pulling away once more.

            “What is going on? Where is he?” I ask her, only getting a shake of her head.

            “I don’t know..” she whispers. “The only thing we know is he has alcohol poisoning, he is in the ICU getting his stomach pumped right now.”

            I take a deep breath and she puts her hands on my upper arm, giving them a squeeze and making me meet her eyes once more.

            “Did you and he have a fight tonight? Or have you spoken to him? Was he upset?” she questions, her eyes searching mine for some answers.

            “We did have a little fight tonight…” I tell her softly.

            “Was it something bad? Something that made him very upset?”

            I am quiet for a moment, my eyes wondering over her should and my gaze meeting his. His blue eyes stare at me from where he has stood from his seat in the hospital waiting room.

            “Yes.” I whisper. “But I didn’t think it would make him do something like this.” I whisper, my eyes stinging slightly with tears and soon my shoulders shake, making them fall. Mrs. Belk brings me against her chest again and begins rubbing my back.

            “Sweetheart, its not your fault, you didn’t know this would happen.” She tells me soothingly.

            I pull away and shake my head.

            “I need to go to the bathroom…” I tell her. “Please excuse me.”

            I turn away from her and turn the corner of the hallway, beginning to walk to the bathroom.

            I hurry even faster when my eyes have found the girls bathroom and everything in me wants to run and lock myself inside.

            I am just about to push the door open when someone grabs my arm and pulls me around the corner, out of sight from Mrs and Mr. Belk.

            “What did you guys fight about?” he hisses, his face only a few inches away.

            “That is none of your business.” I tell him, trying to pull my arm away from him but his grip tightens.

            “My brother is in the hospital with alcohol poisoning because his ex girlfriend and him got into a fight, he could die and you have the nerve to tell me that what you guys fought about is none of my business?” he snaps.

            My lip quivers slightly and there is slight softening in his eyes and his grip on my arm.

            “Please just tell me what you guys fought about.” He says, his voice more gentler.

            “So please don’t ask for me anymore. Please don’t try anymore, because without meaning to Marcus, I fell in love with someone else.”

            “But you have no one to blame but yourself.”

            The look on his face, the way his words were filled with so much plea, and how mean and careless I was to him flashes through my mind, filling me with guilt.