Chapter 34: It's Her

Chapter 34: It’s Her

Standing there in front of two people that were left of my family, my eyes widened. “Dad? Is that you?”

The man looked at me and he reacted quickly. “Rosanna?” He said.

I looked at him again, seeing his clothes ragged here and there. And his face was covered in dirt. But there was still at least a new coat that kept him warm; I guess Rosabel bought that coat for him just recently.

My eyes began to stir as tears reached its limit and wanted to pour out.

I just couldn’t believe it. All these eleven years, I thought my father had died. But instead, he was here. He was here in front of my eyes. My sister and I had to suffer in the childhood as orphans and he was here all along.

Instead of letting my eyes pour out, I wiped them and stared at him. “Where have you been?” I asked, “Why didn’t you come home?”

My father looked at me, with eyes that he didn’t want to answer. He was now, a man who seemed to just live out of the streets. I looked at him, “Why?”

He stood up and glanced around his surroundings, “Rosanna.” He said quietly, “I can’t answer your questions now...” He said.

Then as he didn’t even have the chance to finish his sentence, I saw men in black suits walking outside of the shop. My father’s eyes widened. “Rosanna, Rosabel.” He paused, “I’ll meet you again.” He continued, “And when that time comes, I’ll tell you everything.”

I was about to ask where he was going, and why was he running like that. But that moment past, the black men spotted him in the shop and they began to turn their direction to the shop.

My father glanced around again, trying to find a place to hide, but as he was about to make a step forward; I stopped him, “Dad...”

He smiled at me, “I promise that I will tell you everything.” And with that he pulled my hand away and ran to the back of the shops, finding bathrooms to escape through the windows.

Rosabel, however, pulled my down to a chair and made me sat down. “Act normal.” She said, looking at me.

I was confused. But thinking for the reason why she told me that I did what she said.

The group of agents opened the door to fish and chips shop. They looked around the small shop and people began to gaze to their directions. Whispers began to form, as the men scanned over the shop looking for suspicious people.

The leader walked past our table and talked to the shop owner, “Have you seen this man?” He asked, showing the shop keeper a picture. I saw the man shook his head. The leader however commanded the others to search around the shop.

Rosabel and I, pretend to laugh and smile at each other, telling jokes that didn’t seem to be funny; as the group walked passed us again.

One of the men, pointed to the kitchen and the whole group walked in. After a while of searching in the back kitchen and the bathrooms they came out and exit through the front door. “Sorry for the trouble.” The leader said and left, followed by the group of men.

I glanced over to Rosabel and looked at her expecting her answers. She sighed, “That was close.” She whispered.

I stared at her, “Who were those men?” I said quietly.

She sighed, “This is not a good place to tell.” She said to me, “Let’s go somewhere else.”

***