Chapter 40: Family Histories

She placed the cup of coffee down quietly and glanced back at him with her blue eyes. “Do you know the reason why I want to talk to you today, Harris?”

He glanced back at her blond hair and shook his head, “No.” He replied. “But does it have anything to do with Dean and Taylor?”

Amanda’s eyes widened and then she relaxed her shoulders. “Then I guess, you do know why.” She smiled sweetly at him. Harris knew that even though this girl in front of him, Amanda Staren, appeared sweet and innocent on the surface; she was in fact a girl who can get anything to go accordingly her way. “That was just my lucky guess.” He said, firmly to her.

She smiled again, “Right. Let’s get straight to the point.” She glanced over the coffee shop. “I’m pretty sure that you love Taylor as much as I love Dean. And now that they are together…” She paused.

“You want to break them apart.” Harris continued for her, “Am I right?”

Amanda took another sip from her white coffee and smiled. “Exactly.” Harris looked at her, trying to spot if there were any other reasons why she wanted to do this. But as far as he can see it, there wasn’t. She was serious about this. And through her tone of voice, she seemed like she was desperate to have Dean back as well. Harris glimpsed away from her and then back at his coffee. “And how are you planning to do this?” He questioned her.

She leaned back and crossed her arms, “So, are you agreeing to do this with me?”

He didn’t answer her question directly. “I, firstly, need to know how successful your plans are before making a decision.” Amanda raised an eyebrow at him, observing if there were any types of suspicious behaviour. But he was serious, so he kept a neutral expression.

Harris leaned closer to her, “You don’t trust me?” He asked.  

“I never said that.” She denied.

“Well then,” Harris began, “tell me your plans.”

***

The thing. The thing that was bugging me. That single thing.

Well, it wasn’t really a thing. It was Dean.

He just makes my left eye twitch for some reason. Looking at him and trying to keep my head quiet from an argument, I was sitting there by the cushion chair with many, many, many boxes of shoes around me.

“Hey Rosy,” he turned around and called out, “which pair of shoes do you like?”

I crossed my arms and closed my eyes. “For the millionth time, Junior!” I replied to him, “Quit calling me Rosy. And I don’t like any of them.”

“I wonder why?” He asked himself.

“Well, for you information,” I glared at him, “why are they all high heels?”

Dean shrugged, “I don’t know.” He answered, “But it’s in season you know that?”

The retailer girl heard our conversation from across the store and was smiling to herself. I turned back and stared at Dean. “No, Junior,” I said, “I don’t know that.”

He chuckled to himself and walked over to me. “What’s wrong, Rosy?”

I glared at him, “Your face annoys me.”

He turned around and walked away. I relaxed my shoulders and let out a heavy sigh. Finally, some peace.

“What about this?” Dean asked me. Okay, I don’t think I’ll have that peaceful moment. I glanced up and saw a pair of sunglasses over his eyes. I stood up and walked over to him. “No,” I replied, “I don’t think that works just yet.”