Reassured Rent

Marceline’s P O V

I was slowly drifting away from my sleep. I didn’t even want to wake up today; not without Maz. Yunno . . . it’s very cynical of me to sleep next to a . . . dead body but at this point, nothing matters.

I whimpered at the thought of never having to see Maz’s face, never having to hear Maz’s voice, feel his skin, his lips, his breathe linger on the crook of my neck, his arms holding me tight and telling me that he loves me and of course, waking up next to him; why did it have to be over? Why didn’t they kill me instead of him?

I love you Maz . . . I whispered with my eyes still closed.

The sun was shining through the curtains, ugh- I bet it’s such a nice day outside.

I was getting up to close my damn curtains something held me back . . .

I slowly turned around, my heart is racing, palms are sweating, breathing has stopped, and Goosebumps spread throughout my body; what’s happening?

On the corner of my eye, I saw-

Maz? I hinted

“Marceline” he could barely speak.

Maz!! Maz, you’re alive! I cried loudly. There was a long pause due to the fact that I was caught in between shock and tears- my breathing was affected along with it. Maz, who did this to you? I managed to speak.

“All I remembered was a guy telling me that he was sent to do the hit and then I tried to escape but I the guy grabbed me by my leg and dragged me down before I could even hop over a fence and that’s it. That’s all I remember” he uttered

I couldn’t stop staring at him; I’m scared for both of us. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

Maz . . . t-there umm, somebody wrote a note to me and it was from the people who did this to you.

“Where’s the note?! I’ll kill those fuckers!” he shouted.

Well . . .

“Marceline, I’m not playing around. Give. Me. The. Note.”

Well, they didn’t necessarily wrote me a note, they carved me a note.

He gave me a confused look, “On what?”

On you, they carved me a note on you Maz.

He panted, “What?” he slowly sat up. “What does it say?!” he panicked.

I didn’t answer.

“Marceline, I have to know what it says; now please tell me!”

Still, nothing.

“MARCELINE!! Please help me out here!” he pleaded

I nodded. Fine *takes a deep breath* . . . turn around. He did as I instructed him and read him the ‘note’.

As I finished reading it to him; there was complete silence.

 “Who the fuck is this ‘Hitman’, and what does he want?”

Maz, do you remember who did this to you?

“Not much but I do remember that it was only one guy who attacked me” he squinted.

Wait, one guy did all this damage? That’s insane! That’s no human, that’s an animal!

Maz, we can’t stay here anymore, they know where we live.