Chapter 26

Bruises, cuts, stitches. I could barely look at him with his face all scratched up. I hesitantly walked forward to my brother and sat at the chair beside his bed. He had an IV in his arm and I was scared to touch him, scared he would break.

I held his hand and let out a sob. How could this happen to him? I had seen him a month ago and everything was fine. My head dropped on his stomach and the tears came down faster and faster.

This boy sitting in front of me just yesterday was bubbly and laughing an full of life. Now I watch him lay here silent and motionless. I needed him to be that boy again. I couldn't lose my brother like that.

"Claire, we need to do some tests. You can come back later." I turned around to see the doctor giving me a look of sympathy at the door. I nodded my head as I got up from the chair and walked toward the door. I took one last look before I finally exited.

I got out the door an looked to my left to see Britton wide awake sitting next to Brody. As soon as he saw me his face lit up and he got up and started running toward me. I crouched down and the one and a half year old boy flew into my arms. It had only been a month but words couldn't describe how much I missed this boy.

"I'm going to head home and get some sleep."

"Alright Brody. Thanks for watching Britt. I'll text you if anything changes." He nodded and walked past me down the long dead hallway.

"Try and get some sleep bud. It's still early." I laid Britton down on the cushioned bench just outside Austin's room. He nodded his head and closed his eyes. I wish I could be that innocent.

I pulled out my phone and saw a few different things. One was that it had been 4am and two, I had multiple texts and calls from Niall. I decided to take this time to call him back seeing as I wasn't very tired.

"Babe, why aren't you sleeping?" he answered on the first ring. I had told him not to say anything about Austin to the boys although that was before I knew how serious it was.

"Niall, it was a little more than just releasing him. I don't want you saying anything to the boys. I don't want them to worry."

"Claire I told you when you left I wasn't going to tell them. They think you're just on holiday in the states. What's going on?"

I was scared to say it aloud. Maybe because I felt it wasn't real. I took a deep breath before a single tear slipped down my face.

"He's-um he's in a coma..." a sob came out of my mouth but Niall stayed silent for a moment.

"I'm coming to New York."

"No Niall. You have a job to do in London. After the Olympics then you can but please not till then." I could hear him sigh on the other end. "Look I have to go. But I'll call you later"

"I love you Claire."

"I love you too." I hung up and shoved my phone back in my pocket.

Just as I started walking back to sit where Britton was the doctor came out of the room to tell me I was able to go back in.

I picked Britton up carefully from where he was laying and carried him into the room. It was hard looking at him even though I had seen him already. I sat down on the chair with Britt on my lap and after not to long I fell asleep.

*

"Autin, det up. Care is here." my eyes were still shut but I could here my brothers precious baby voice fill my ears. I opened them up to see Britton tapping Austin's shoulder as he laughed.

"Britt what are you doing?" he turned around with a huge smile on his face.

"Autin seeping wake him up!" I felt the tears forming in my eye but I held them back. I needed to stay strong for this innocent little boy.