Chapter 1

It's weird to think this is my last day here at this school. I'm graduating a year early so that I can travel a little. I'm sure going to miss my best friends though, and i'll be missing out on my senior year.

"I can't believe East Academy isn't going to have THE Claire Ann Rayne here next year." My best friend Shana yelled in the hallway.

"You act like it's a huge deal that I won't be here. Pus, Austin will still be here, he'll be the new Rayne at this school." i told her referring to my brother who was two years younger than me. Shana just shook her head and I watched her storm off. She wasn't exactly too happy I was leaving. She liked being able to tell people she was a good friend of the Rayne family.

If you know anything about my family, I'm sure it's that we are one of the richest families in NYC. Most people were jealous of our family, but me, I wish that I could just be a normal girl sometimes. My dad, Bill Rayne, owned most of the Upper East Side. He owns multiple clubs, two hotels, and a few buisness offices. The thing I hated most was that even if I wanted to do something on my own, I couldn't because there was my dad. People just gave my things because they knew who he was. That was part of the reason I was getting away, no one knew who I was or my dad.

"I still can't believe you're leaving!" I heard Chelsey and Kira behind me. I turned around and was pulled into a hug by both of them. I really will miss these two more than anything. They had been there for me through everything ever since we were five years old. It was hard to believe after next week I wasn't going to have them around anymore.

"Don't worry! I'll come back and visit all the time, and we'll call and skype each other every chance we get!" I reassured them with a smile on my face.

"Well we have to celebrate tonight since this is your last day at school!" I knew that was coming out of their mouth. I knew that tonight would be crazy seeing as it was my last night to actually do something fun.

"I have an idea, let's have people over to my place then we'll go to Sky Bar with everyone and you can all come over and stay the night. It'll be fun!" I tried to sound excited when I really just wanted to hang out with my boyfriend, Brody. We had been together since freshman year. I was mostly only with him because our dads worked together and everyone just expected us to date.

We left for my house and Chelsey sent out a mass text to our group of friends with all the details. She was always the best party plans and always knew who to invite. I knew that there would be at least 20 people with us to I decided to have them come to my house out in the Hampton's knowing my parents would be at the apartment in the city. That way we could do whatever we wanted without my family being around. Not that having my parents around would make a difference, they didn't pay attention to me or my brother much anyway.

By 8 o'clock, there were about 15 people at my house and we were all making sure we looked good enough to go out tonight. We were also taking shots and having a good time. At 11 we decided to call for two cabs to take us to the club for the night. We got there and it was packed with people from our school. This is one of the clubs my dad owns so I could pretty much do whatever I wanted there.

I had quite a bit to drink and I was super tired, but I couldn't find Chelsey, Shana, or Kira anywhere so that we could go home. I was standing by the bar, my long blonde hair was a mess and my black sparkly heels were killing me. That's when I saw Brody standing on the other side of the club staring at me with his dreamy blue eyes. He ran his hand through his short brown hair and he walked over to me. As he approached I pulled at my flowy white dress.

" You look like you need to go home,  let me take you?" He said just before kissing my cheek. Looks like I won't be having a sleepover with the girls tonight after all. I nodded and grabbed his hand as we walked out the club and started towards my apartment. It was two in the morning and I knew if my parents were home they would be sleeping, meaning Brody would stay over.

As we walked in, all the lights were off and my dad's work bags that normally sat in the corner were gone. "Looks like my parents left town, and didn't bother telling me." I told Brody while walking to my parents room to see if they were home. Their room was empty. My brother Austin was most likely still at the club. I had seen him while we were there and he looked like he was having a good time so I didn't bother him.

Brody and I walked into the kitchen to get something to eat before we went upstairs to my room. I opened the fridge and took out the bread and some jelly to make toast. "Do you want anything?" I asked looking at Brody sitting on the counter.

"No, but I think we need to talk Claire. You leave in less than a week, I just want to know where we stand right now." He looked at me with a not too worried look. People who really knew us, knew that we weren't one of those couples who got mad about things. In a way, we were basically just friends that acted like we were dating while in the public. It was almost as if it was a publicity stunt that actors have. We weren't like most couples, we had never done anything like, sexually. We make out sometimes when we get really drunk but that's about it.

"Well, let's just stay the way we are. I mean we aren't much of a couple, are we? You know I love you Brody, but we only really started dating because of our dads. And we aren't even really a couple unless we are out in public." I looked at him hoping I wasn't breaking his heart.

"You mean we can stay the way we are? I just don't want you to leave and forget about me. You're my best friend Claire, and I know we will never be anything more. I just want you to know that i'll always be here as a friend. So let's just be friends, like you said." He said with a smile.

We headed up to my room as Austin walked in the door looking completely smashed. He had quite the night it looked like. "Need anything before I head to bed Austy?" I was a bit concerned for him.

"No Claire Bear, i'm gooooood. I'm going straight to bed. Love youuuu. Hii Brodesterss! Gooodnightt!" He said slurring his words quite a bit.

I laughed and Brody and I went up to my room to go to bed. I looked at Brody as I got into my bed and we smiled at each other. There he was, we had finally just came out and said it, that we were just friends. We had both thought it before, but never said it aloud. It was nice to finally say it. This would be my last night with him. Over the last three years, I have had him sleep over more times that I could keep track of, and now here he is, the last time.