Chapter 25

One year later...

After my accident everything eventually went back to normal. The only change was that I now had a scar down my chest. The past year the boys had their up all night tour and it was absolutely amazing. Working with them was unlike anything I had ever experienced. The hype of backstage was crazy with everyone running about. I loved the atmosphere and everything about it but I decided it wasn't what I was meant to do. I ended up taking online classes while on the road and getting my business degree. I had always saw myself doing something with business and the classes showed me how much I actually do enjoy it.

Niall and I zonked out early seeing as he has rehearsals for the the closing ceremony at the Olympics in the morning. I am so proud of him and the boys and all they have overcome. They have become the biggest boyband in the world which is absolutely amazing. The things these boys do to girls is crazy.

'Ring, ring, ring' I was woken up to my phone going off with an unknown number. I debated on whether or not I should answer it but figure I might as well.

"Hello?" I looked at the clock and said it was nearing midnight.

"May I please speak with Claire Rayne?" A woman's voice came from the other end and I hadn't recognised it.

"This is her." I was a bit irritated that someone was calling me so late because I just wanted my sleep.

"This is the JFK hospital in New York. We are calling because we have your brother Austin here. He was in a car accident and we need you to come down here to see him."

My heart sank as soon as I heard this and I didn't know what to say. I could feel tears forming in my eyes when I realized I hadn't known how bad his condition even was.

"Is he okay?"

"I'm just the phone nurse. Since he's under 18 we are unable to release him." There was a quick silence and I didn't know quite what to say "So are you going to be able to come here? we couldn't get a hold of your parents."

"Uh yeah I'm in London but I will head there now."

"I will let them know. Thank you."

With that we both hung up and I struggled to know what to do next. I looked to my left to see Niall still fast asleep cuddled up in the comforter. I got up out of the bed and walked over to my dresser to find some clothes to wear when I heard Niall move around in the bed.

"Please tell me it's not morning yet." I looked at him to see his eyes were still closed but he had taken the comforter off of him. He was dressed in just a pair of sweat pants which was more than usual.

"It's not. Austin got in a car accident and I need to go get him." Niall was now sat up and looking at me with a worried look.

"How are you getting there?"

"I'm not sure. I have no idea what's going on." I was now sitting on the floor and my hands were tangled in my hair. Niall got out of bed and came to put his arms around me. He always knew how to make me feel better and I really appreciated it.

"I'll figure that out. You get ready to go. We'll find a way for you to get back babe." I nodded my head and he ran out the door and I heard him stomp down the stairs.

I got dressed into a pair of Nike shorts and a t shirt knowing it would be quite warm in New York. I decided against packing clothes knowing I still had some at the house I could wear.

Niall came back into the room and went right to whee he had thrown his t shirt before bed and put it on. He then made his way over to me and the his arms around my shoulders. We sat like this for a moment before Niall finally spoke up.

"John is going to fly to home. We have to be there in 15 minutes." John had been one of Niall's friends who had his pilot license and had a small plane. I was really grateful that he was taking me knowing there are no flights leaving at this time of night.

*

We landed at the airport around 1 in the morning and called a cab. I was headed off the the hospital while John was heading to my parents apartment to get a good night sleep. It was the least I could do for him flying me here.

I got out of the cab and walked to the front door of the hospital and saw a girl a bit older than me in scrubs with her brown curly hair down. She seemed to be quite bored as there was no one around at this time of night.

"I'm wondering what room Austin Rayne is in." She looked up with a grimace on her face before speaking.

"Visiting hours are over dear, you're going to need to come back tomorrow."

"They told me to come as soon as possible. I'm Claire Rayne, my dad is Bill Rayne. I need to go release my brother." I hated using my dad to get things but I really wanted to just get in and out of this place. The lady looked at me knowing who I was and typed something into her computer. She looked at something quick before giving me a look of sympathy. She then proceeded giving me directions on how to get to room 408.

I made my way to the fourth floor and turned down a few halls before I reached the ICU wing. I figured it was just passing through it until I saw two familiar faces sleeping on the bench outside of a room. I walked over and saw that it was in fact room 408. My heart was pounding as I rushed over to Brody who was cradling my brother Britton in his arms.

"Brody!" I shook his shoulder and he awoke immediately. He set my brother down on the bench slowly as he got up and gave me a tight hug. As he pulled back I took my time to study him. He had bags under his eyes and they were all red and puffy. "What's going on? Are you going to tell me what's going on, they told me I needed to release him not come see him in ICU!"

"Come over here." He pulled me away from Britton a littler before he started talking. "Him Brendan and Kellen were driving home from the beach. A car pulled out in front of them and when they tried to swerve the car flipped. Claire I'm so sorry." Tears were running down his face and he pulled me in for a hug.

I made my way back over to the room and just before I was about to open it I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I turned around to see who I guessed to be his doctor.

"Hi I'm Claire, Austin's sister."

"Yes I was told you were on your way. Your brother Austin is a medical induced coma. His brain is very swollen and had some fluid around it. He also has a few broken ribs. Don't be alarmed when you see him. But you are able to go in there now if you want."

A the words came out of his mouth my body went numb. I couldn't think, I couldn't move. All I wanted to do was break down. I slowly turned around and faced the door and the tears started coming down one by one. I gripped the handle and turned it as I pushed forward on the door. I was definitely not ready for what what coming next, I didn't want to see my brother like that.

___________________________________

Okay so I am massively sorry for the wait everyone. So much happened to me in the past few months. I moved across the country, school started up, got a new job, I have a YouTube channel to run, and I have two boys to take care of. It's been crazy. I hope you don't mind that I jumped forward so far in the future. I just didn't want to bore you guys.

Hope you like it!