Chapter 24

I sat in the waiting room of the hospital just waiting for someone to come tell me what was wrong with my Claire. I needed her to be alright. Seeing her lie there on the ground in her room when we got home killed me. She was motionless on the floor and I was scared that she wouldn't be okay. Harry and Louis had stayed here with me and it really made me feel better. Truth was, I was falling apart inside but on the outside I was keeping a brave face. I didn't want them knowing how bad it was hurting not knowing what was wrong with her.

"Is Niall here?" A man in a long white coat came in with his clipboard. He took a look around the whole waiting room but Harry, Louis, and I were the only ones in there.

"Err yeah that's me." I got up and walked over to the doorway where he was stood. Once I reached him he pulled me into the hall so we were no longer visible to the boys.

"So we've found out what's wrong with Claire. She's got a tumor pressing against her lungs. This was causing her to have trouble breathing therefore slowing down oxygen flow to her brain. We figured she got light headed and fainted. She is getting prepped for surgery to remove it right now. I'll be out afterwards to inform you of how it's going." I opened my mouth to say something but I couldn't get anything to come out. He picked up on this and kept talking. "Niall, she's going to be okay. I'll see you in about an hour."

He nodded his head at me and made his way down the hall. I wasn't exactly sure how to take the news. It was killing me inside but I didn't really know enough about this to know quite how serious it was. Tears started forming in my eyes and I leaned up against the wall. I slid my back down and brought my knees to my chest. I didn't want the boys to hear my crying so I let out a silent sob.

I sat there for about five minutes letting my crying die down before I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. Austin was calling me.

"Hello?"

"Please tell me you're at the hospital with her and that you know what's going on?" He said really fast which meant he was nervous. Although I hadn't known Austin for a long time, I knew that when he was nervous he talked faster than usual. He sped up what he was saying and sometimes you couldn't even understand him. I got that he was worried because I was too, but I had to be calm for him. I don't want him worrying so much since he's not here.

"Yeah i'm here. She's going to be fine the doctor said. We don't have anything to worry about." In a way I lied. I didn't know if we were suppose to worry or if she was even going to be alright.

"I wish I could be there, but since I can't you have to text me or call me whenever something changes. I have to go now though, but i'll talk to you later."

"Alright, I will. Bye." And with that we hung up. I had sobered up my crying now so I got up and made my way back into the waiting room. The boys had been in the same spots they were when I left but Harry looked as if he was about to fall asleep.

I took a seat on the couch across the room from them and tipped my head back so it was hitting the wall. It was nearing two in the morning and I was exhausted to say the least. As much as I wanted to sleep, I couldn't go home and leave Claire here. The boys and I are all she has and we need to be here for her.

"So, are you going to tell us what he said?" Harry broke the silence after a minute.

"She has a tumor on her lungs thats causing her to have problems breathing. She's getting ready to go into surgery right now." My head was still tipped back but I could see them both look at each other.

"Is she going to be okay?" Louis asked and this time I brought my head down so I was looking at them. I could tell they were both really worried but I'm not sure I could put up a front anymore.

"I don't know. I don't know if she'll be okay. I don't know anything about tumors or what happens when you get one. I just don't know anything, but I wish I did because I need her to be okay." I had yelled this at them and I felt bad about it but I didn't know how to control my emotions anymore.

"It's alright Nialler. I'm sure she'll be fine, but if not, we're all here for you. You're not going through this alone." Louis was now by my side with his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm just nervous and scared. I didn't mean to yell at you."

"I know. Lay down and get some rest, you're tired." He got up and plopped himself on the other couch and I lied myself down. I was to opt that I wasn't going to get any sleep but sure enough I was blacking out into a deep sleep.

-

"Niall, wake up. The doctor is here." Harry was shaking me but it didn't take much to get me up.

"How is she?" I jumped up from the couch and made me way over to him.

"She did great. Everything went very smooth. We've sent the tumor off to the lab and will get results on it soon. She's in recovery so a nurse will be in soon when she's ready to have visitors."

"Th-thank you." He gave me a quick smile and he was on his way. I get that he told me she was fine but I still couldn't help but still worry.

I turned around and looked at the guys but they had heard everything the doctor had told me. I took my phone out of my pocket and saw that I had unread messages from the other boys and some friends back home but I decided to leave it. I needed to let Austin know about Claire. That was my only priority right now.

Me: Out of surgery, doctor said everything went great. Waiting for her to get out of recovery to see her.

"I'm looking for visitors of Claire Rayne?" A nurse had said just as I was about to finish the text. I hit send and looked up at her.

"Yeah that's us." We were still the only three people in the waiting room so i'm not sure why she looked around the whole room.

"I can take one of you back now and the other two can come back when she wakes up. Who's first?" I was pushed forward by the boys as I put my hands in my pockets. "Alright, follow me."

She brought me down a few different hallways before we finally stopped in front of a door that had been closed. I saw her name on the side of the door along with a nurses sheet.

"Can I go in?"

"Yes, she is still sleeping but should be up very soon. When she does wake up she can decide when she wants more visitors. Just push the red button next to her bed when she's ready." I nodded and opened the door.

Thre she was, just lying there motionless. Her eyes were closed and she had IV's in her arm. There was a small cut on her head which had happened when she fell. It was all cleaned up now and no longer bleeding. She looked as if she was going to be okay. But was she? I didn't know. I just want her to wake up. I just wanted her to tell me she was going to be okay.