Twelve

I stay in the hospital all night waiting for my mom to wake up but she hasn't. I sit by her bed side and just stare at her motionless body. Just a few months ago we were singing Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder at the top of our lungs in the kitchen. I touch the top of her hand.

" Hi Mom. I know you probably can't hear me but please wake up. I love you so much." I whisper.

My dad clears his throat standing in the doorway.

" Come on let me take you out to breakfast." Dad says.

I sigh and get up. He hugs me tight and kisses the top of my head. We walk down the hallway. I get into his car and make our way to a little diner downtown. We sit down at a booth.

" How's life Rae?" Dad asks.

" It's good I guess. I got a job at the Johnny Rockets near your office." I say.

" And you never come and say hi?" Dad asks.

" I'm sorry Daddy-O." I say.

He chuckles. Kendall walks in and searches around the restaurant before finding us and sitting down next to me.

" I had to drop Harper off. Sorry I'm late." Kendall says.

" It's fine baby girl." Dad says.

" So what did you need to talk about with us?" Kendall asks.

Dad sighs and takes a sip of his coffee.

" Your mom is sick. She's been very sick for the past few years." Dad says.

" What do you mean?" I ask.

" Your mother was diagnosed with  a Bipolar Disorder when we first got married." Dad says.

Kendall and I just look at each other then back to Dad.

" Which is why she freaked out the way she did. She refused and refuses to see help." Dad says.

" Is that why you two split?" Kendall asks.

Dad nods.

" It gets hard seeing someone you love suffer but not want to do anything about it. Your mom can be very dangerous to be around sometimes but I don't want you two to be afraid of your mother." Dad says.

" She doesn't take medicine at all?" I ask.

" No she does not." Dad says.

Kendall just starts sobbing. I rub her back. And I'm supposed to be the hormonal one.

" I just suggest being normal as possible around your mother especially when she does wake up because she can't know that you guys know. Can you guys promise me you won't say anything?" Dad asks.

" You have my word Dad." I say.

" Mine too." Kendall says.

" Thank you." Dad says.

" And thank you guys so much for having breakfast with me. So who's paying?" Dad asks.

Kendall and I just laugh.

" I'm just kidding. I'm the dad. I'll pay." Dad says.

He pulls out his wallet.

" You're having twins right?" Dad asks.

He hands me well over a thousand dollars.

" I love you and please spend it on the babies." Dad says.

" You're having twins?!" Kendall asks.

" Act surprised at the gender reveal." I say.

" I got you." Kendall says.

" My lips are sealed." Dad says.

Kendall pretends to lock her lips and put it in her pocket.