5.5 • Do You Remember?

Do you remember when we met at that party? I was there because I was forced to, and so were you. I still had blonde hair, but yours was unruly and curly and brown. I was attracted by your impish grin and how bored you looked, so I walked over. You smiled genuinely at me. You had that star struck glint in your eye but you managed to keep your composure. I liked that. You stood up from your seat and offered it to me. At the end of the night, you made no moves, just tried to get me home safe. I'd had a drink, but you were sober so you drove me home. I invited you in and you slowly nodded your head uttering a, "Sure, why not? I've got a song I wrote that I'd like to show you."

My stomach erupted with butterflies and heart did somersaults in my chest while still pounding against my ribcage. You plugged your phone into the speakers, and Marvin Gaye played. I instantly fell in love; it was so perfect! I couldn't believe you weren't famous yet. "So... what do you think? Can you sing it?" As you asked that question your forehead was creased in doubt but your eyes twinkled hopefully and you hand was nervously scratching the back of your neck.

"No," I'd shook my head and your face crumbled; your heart visibly crashing onto the floor and shattering. "But we could sing it together?" Your spirits were clearly lifted but you still looked confused. Once I explained and reassured you, you were down. We swapped numbers and, 3 weeks later, we were in a recording studio.

Do you remember our first kiss? We were at your apartment, a month before we released Marvin Gaye. We'd just finished recording the video for your YouTube channel that announced it. You grabbed my hands and dragged me outside, telling me you needed to 'show me something'. Once on your balcony, you made me lay down and you lay down next to me. We stared out at the sky. Your LA apartment was on the outskirts so the stars were shining so bright that night. You turned around you kissed me and it was like the 4th of July had erupted in my body. We kissed, and kissed. And then, we went inside, snuggled on your grey couch and watched a movie.

Do you remember our first date? You showed up at my house two hours early with a pizza. I'd just had a shower, and was freaking out because I wasn't ready. You calmed me down with a kiss and sat me on the sofa. You played my favourite romantic comedy and got two plates and cups for the pizza and wine. We spent the whole time close to each other and laughing in onesies. Half way through the film, you got up. The lights were already dimmed hit you flicked a switch and the room danced with a silver light and then you flicked another and pastel tea-lights covered the room. You lay down next to me again and kissed me again, those fireworks from the first time still there. I fell in love with you over again at the perfect night. Once the film finished, we put another on. That was the one moment I knew you weren't like other guys; you were so different. We had the same idea of a perfect date and you did it and it really was perfect. That was the moment I knew I was in love with you.

Do you remember how you felt when I told you we were going on tour together? How you jumped up and down in excitement? And then we spent every night on the road together snuggled up in the same bunk, both of us barely fitting in to the point where we took it in turns sleeping on the edge. Then every time we hugged after singing Marvin Gaye together you whispered in my ear "I love you, you're doing great". When I got sick and you accompanied me to every doctor's appointment I was given, and calmed me down whenever I had any doubts. How you kissed me whenever it looked like I was about to talk or do anything to harm my throat to stop me. You were there for my surgery, and you were there when I woke up, and you danced along to my heart monitor or did anything goofy or stupid to make me relax and forget about it.

Do you remember when you left to go on tour? I was crushed that you wouldn't be with me and we were both so terrified the distance would break us; yet at the same time knew that we were untouchable. Midway through your tour you surprised in LA and forced me to get pizza with you and we did the exact same things we did on our first date. Detail for detail.

Do you remember when you surprised me on my birthday? You missed my party because you were working - it was unavoidable. You were meant to be in Chicago doing press, and you were for a while, but then you got onto the next plane to New York. That's where I was; New York, having my 25th birthday party. All my friends and family were there, all except you. I'd tried to forget about how you weren't there but I couldn't. I couldn't push you out of my mind. I drank alcohol and partied with my closest friends and people I barely knew. Ed Sheeran was there, I think I told you. But when the party was over and I was alone in a onesie with one of your hoodies on, the door opened, and there you were. Messy brown hair and all, you were there. I ran into your arms and I combed my fingers through your unruly, auburn hair. You pressed a kiss against my lips and mumbled: "Happy Birthday baby girl". Then you took my hand and dragged me to the doughnut shop on the corner, still in my onesie. The woman at the front desk of the hotel I was staying at sent me a look of pure confusion. I didn't know what we were doing either.

Do you remember when you proposed to me? It was exactly 4 years since we met, and 3 and a half years since we'd been dating. Still, the public knew nothing about us. We were on a cliff somewhere in the outskirts of Los Angeles. You'd set out a picnic, the flannel blanket laid out under the glimmering stars. Pizza from my favourite pizza was the centre piece and candles littered the whole cliff, making it look magical. You were lay there, beside the boxes of pizza grinning as I removed my blindfold. Halfway through the dinner, you stood up and pulled a velvet box from your pocket. You got onto knee and opened the box. Through watery eyes, I saw a white gold ring with a huge diamond and small ruby's surrounding it. I remember you said: "Meghan, I love you. I've loved you since the moment my eyes found yours at that party years ago. I've been loving you for quite some time, and I don't plan on stopping. It's been occurring to me: I wanna hang out with you for my whole life. Marry me?" I just nodded because I didn't trust my voice to speak. You were so overjoyed, and so was I.

Do you remember when we got married? You were wearing your perfect black tux with a white flower in your breast pocket and I was wearing a long, white dress. I cried to whole time; so did my parents, and yours.

Do you remember me placing flowers on your grave?

I do.

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter :)

I'm publishing a new marlie story after this chapter so you should go check that out (shameless self promotion XD) it's called 'Things I Said to Charlie'.

Stay strong lovelies,
- Faye xx