3.7 • Scars

"Oh the places you'll go, today is your day! Your mountain is waiting so get on your way!" -Dr Suess

- - - - 

"Show me your scars," he said, twirling my blonde hair around his finger. 

"But... why?" I asked quizzically, genuinely curious. When I got clean we said that was that and never spoke about them again. Why now? A year on. Why?

"Because I want to see how many time you needed me and I wasn't there," he whispered, clutching my hand in his, a tear silently rolling down his cheek. I gulped. It was true, I'd never let him see my scars. He saw my hesitation, "Please, Meg." I sighed, pushing down my leggings slightly so that you could see my hips. One, two, three, four, five straight lines. All in a neat row. Straight, white, haunting lines. Just a constant reminder of my past. More tears free fell from his perfect cocoa eyes and I melted, wiping them away with my thumb and resting my forehead against his. Still, he didn't look me in the eye. His eye-line was straight at my hip, his thumb tracing over each of the scars that remained. 

"Char,"  I whispered, my voice cracking. Tears slipped and fell from my green eyes falling onto his t-shirt. It didn't take long before I was sobbing in his strong arms. But he didn't soothe or calm me like he usually did. No. He stayed silent, his thumb tracing all five of the scars on my hip. His face was stained with no emotion, his eyes weren't sparkling or brimming. He looked so... so broken. I wiggled out of his grip and ran away, the guilt of the situation finally getting to me and eating at my insides. I broke him. I broke Charlie, my Mr Invincible, I broke him. I didn't hear footsteps as I packed my bag, he didn't come running after me. I packed underwear, clothes for the next few days, a toothbrush, shower gel, all the essentials. Hopefully I can come back in a few days  and we can talk it out, get past it and go back to pretending it never happened. Hopefully. He didn't chase after me as I left, bag slung over one of my shoulders, still shaking with sobs, tears still staining my cheeks and making my eyes bloodshot. He just stared blankly into space, not even sparing me a glance as I stumbled my way into the kitchen and eventually out of the front door. I fumbled with my phone before calling Ry. He picked up the phone, panting and breathless after two rings. 

"Sis, what is it? I'm kinda busy right now," Ryan muttered, still panting. I heard JoJo giggle, also breathless in the background. I cringed. 

"Look, I get that you live with JoJo now, okay? I get that!" I snapped, "But I really need you to come pick me up I don't think I can drive without crashing," I sobbed, once again letting my emotions consume me. 

"Meg, are you okay?" Ryan asked, concern lacing his tone. I heard fumbling from the other line, I assume he's putting clothes on. "Oh, wait, hold on." 

"Meghan? What's up sweetie?" It was JoJo, she sounded just as - if not more - concerned about me. 

"No," I croaked out, once again letting sobs control my body, leaving me a shaking mess. 

"Okay, Ryan's coming to get you now, you're at your place?" I nodded before realizing she couldn't see me. 

"Yes," I whispered, no longer trusting my voice. 

"Right when you get here I'll have hot chocolate waiting and then we can kick Ryan out and we can have a girls night yeah?" I chuckled halfheartedly, following it with a sniffle. 

"Yeah," I managed, "That sounds nice. Thanks JoJo," I spoke gratefully. 

"See you in 20 minutes okay?" The line then went dead and I sat outside in the slight chill of Los Angeles winter. Sure enough, no less than 10 minutes later, Ryan's car pulled into my drive, headlights gleaming, blinding me they were so bright. Ryan got out of the car and sat next to me, pulling me into a side hug. 

"Oh Meghan," he sighed, kissing the top of my head. I clutched his t-shirt in my hand. "Lets go," he suggested and I nodded agreeing. He kept his arm around me until I was sat in the passenger seat. He took my bag from my shoulder and shoved it in the back. He got in the drivers seat and we began the 10 minute drive back to Ryan and JoJo's house. I kept my mouth and eyes closed tight, hoping to block out the world. When we arrived the soft rumble of the car engine stopped and Ryan shook my shoulder. "Hey Meggy," he muttered, "We're here." I nodded, forcing open my eyes but not yet opening my mouth. I dragged myself out and went to grab my bag but Ryan shook his head and stopped me. "I got it, you go inside," he whispered. 

"Thanks Ry." 

"No problem," he replied, smiling sadly at me. I trudged inside, a sigh on my lips. I opened the door and JoJo ran at me, pulling me into a tight hug. 

"Hey," I mumbled into her shoulder, all cried out for now. 

"C'mere," She kept in the tight embrace, nodding slightly to Ryan as to where to put my bag. 

"I'm gonna go out for the night, I'll probably stay with JTrain," Ryan told us and JoJo nodded again. Ryan put a hand on my back before he left. "You'll be okay Meg," he whispered in my ear, "You're a tough cookie." Then the door closed and Jo finally let me go. We wandered into the living room where she handed me a hot cocoa and made me tell her everything. So I did. I told her everything. 

"Oh Meghan, I think Charlie just needs a little time," she told me, hugging me again. 

"I know but... it was like I wasn't even there," I sighed sadly. Just as I said this, there was a knock at the door. 

"Ryan probably forgot something, and his keys," JoJo chuckled, I laughed. 

"Sounds like him." I heard the door open and hushed voices, I knew instantly it wasn't Ryan. He would of announced his presence and forgetfulness as soon as he stepped through the door. I pulled myself up of the comfortable gray couch and stuck my head around the door frame. My breath hitched, getting caught in my throat. Charlie. There he stood, pleading with JoJo to let him through, his tousled, tangled brown hair as messy as ever, his auburn eyes once again sparkling and brimming, no longer left with no emotion. 

"Meghan," he gasped as he saw me there. He pushed past JoJo and ran at me, pulling me into the biggest, most welcome warm hug. He lifted my feet of the ground and buried his face in my shoulder. "I'm so, so, so sorry baby," He whispered, "I was an idiot, I shouldn't have acted like that."

"No, Char, it's fine. Really," I muttered into his t-shirt, fisting the black material in my hand, once again crying, this time of happiness. He put me down, cupping my cheeks. I noticed now that I was not the only one crying. He too, had tears falling fast down his cheeks. 

"I fucking love you Meghan Trainor," he whispered, before kissing me hard on the mouth. He pulled back and rested our foreheads together. 

"I love you too." 

A/N: I don't really know about this one... I might end up taking it down. I just don't like it that much, what do you guys think? 

Stay strong lovelies, 

-Faye xx