5.7 • Lost Boy

Note: This turned out to be quite long (over 3000 words), and it took a while to write and edit and get up but it's here. Thank you for sticking with me, and I'm quite proud of this. I hope you enjoy 🙈❤️

I never believed in the term 'tragically beautiful'. I didn't think that something could be heartbreaking yet described as beautiful; a word that's described as: having qualities that give great pleasure to see, hear or think about. I just didn't think it was possible. I didn't think that you could hold beauty in something so shattering and sorrowful. I couldn't believe it until I experienced something I couldn't describe any other way.

I was young, very young. Maybe 12 or 13; maybe younger. I had a dog growing up. She was a Jack Russell. Her fur was several shades of brown: ranging from auburn to hazelnut and chestnut, it also had spots of white that pervaded the sea of dull colour. Her eyes were a twinkling black-coffee colour and her nose was shining with health. Her tail was always wagging, unless she was in trouble, then it would drop to the floor with her head that she hung in guilt and shame. I was walking her in the park near to my house. The grass was always a lush green. The trees were tall and also bursting with colour, but in the winter they were naked and a lifeless beige.

It was November, so the leaves on the trees were changing colour from one of life to that of fire, flickers of Amber and pear-colours were dotting the branches and decorating so high it looked as though they were in the sky, occasionally they'd fall to the ground where they'd brown as death overcame their beautiful, flourishing colour. My dog was trotting obediently next to me as I ambled through the field. The air was frosty and clean, the trees loomed over me but I didn't feel threatened. The coldness in the air drove most people away, with the exception of a few people trudging through the ear-bitingly cold air with dogs of their own, and one or two couples dotted around the acres of land. The crisp air made my mind clear as my eyes darted from one area to the next. It was a fogless day so I could see far, and in the distance I could see the part of the park that held a wooden zipline and a large, metal slide carved into a hill, with a wooden structure joined with ropes and held together with nails covered in jet black plastic for children to climb on as their heads are thrown back in innocent laughter. I glanced fleetingly at my dog who had her rosy tongue lolled out of her mouth lazily in the practically frozen November air. We walked across fields that were coated in frozen droplets of dew making the grass crunch beneath my feet.

My dogs padding feet drew me away from the music blasting in my ears and the breathtaking scenery, and
towards the steady, consistent patter of her paws against the frozen floor. I pulled myself into a gentle jog across the field to keep myself warmed despite the early-winter air. The sun was brightly shining in the sky, making it glow and casting happiness over the land for as far the eye could see. The glorious weather itself was enough to make a smile stretch across my face. My dog kept good pace with me as our feet pounded against the hard grass with the intent of the memory-ridden park in mind. I was expecting it to be deserted, with the skin-bitingly, ear-numbingly, clean, crisp, cold air, nibbling at exposed skin. It wasn't, though. From the distance of the field I could see a mass of black that wasn't usually there, with the exception of a small patch of peach. From the distance, I couldn't see any features. Whether it was a boy, or a girl, or an adult or child. All I really knew was that as soon as the mass came into view my legs stopped working and became jelly attached to my body; my heart started thumping so hard and so fast that I thought it would spring from my chest onto the grass under my numb feet. My dog stopped a few paces ahead of me and cocked her head to the side, her tongue still lolling out of her mouth, and her petite body heaving with breathlessness while her eyes beamed with perplexed glitter. I shook my head lightly, trying to shake whatever had pervaded my body and made it disobey my mind from my system. Picking up the pace, I started off walking, and then upped my speed to the jog that I picked up just minutes before.