5.1 • Be Mine

Charlie's POV

The interview was going well, I thought so anyway. It was the same-old, same-old questions, but I didn't really mind because I've answered them so many times before the answers are etched into my memory. In every interview though, there's always one question that shocks you. Every interviewer is different, so the surprise question varies. "So Charlie." He began. "You and Meghan Trainor, what's the deal with you two?" I sat stunned to silence for what felt like forever, maybe longer. Meghan Trainor. God, I hadn't even heard her name for so long.

"Sorry, we're having difficulties with equipment. You guys can talk for a little while." My manager smiled, wandering off to find out what was going on. I sighed. Meghan Trainor. I never expected that, everything, all of that was behind us. Marlie was long since forgotten, so why would he ask about her? My mind was exploding, everyone was focused on my new relationship. I didn't love her, I knew it was wrong. I was dating a woman I wasn't in love with. I think I loved her, but I wasn't in love with her. Does that even make sense? She existed but she didn't make my heart swell or my stomach flutter or my head spin. She was just her, and Meghan was just perfect. The interviewer obviously got a thumbs up or something that I didn't quite see, because the interview continued and I thought we were still on a break.

"So, Charlie, what about you and Meghan?" I gulped.

"Well, we have moments I suppose-"

"Moments? Like... intimate moments?" I cringed.

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, it's not like totally just all over each other every spare minute. I'm in love with the girl, she's so flawless and perfect, I mean, it's her imperfections that make her perfect." I smiled fondly, "She's not afraid to be her, and then on top of her insane personality she kills me with her body and her looks. It's unfair. I can't have her. I guess sometimes we both just get a little by mixed up with everything and that's when said moments end up happening. I don't regret them per-say, but I wish they didn't happen." I sighed, knowing that made minimal sense, "The point is, when those moments happen, it's harder to erase them from memory, because I think about her so often anyway l, throw in something like that. It's all I think about."

"So, you two have gone all the way?" He asked. I nodded, dropping my gaze to my lap. "Why aren't you together? The fans or... something else?"

"We're not together because no matter how much I want to call her mine, I'm in love with her. I want the best for her, only the best, nothing less than that. The truth is, I just can't be the best for her." It was slowly shattering my heart as I said it. I can't have her, I'm not good enough.

"Wow. I guess it's fair to say that that's an exclusive. Thanks Charlie boy!" The interviewer chuckled, bringing himself to his feet.

"Woah, woah, woah!" I exclaimed, "Nobody told me we were good to go, I want that footage deleted. Now. Call me a diva in the papers or whatever you want but delete that footage," I hissed. The people in the room looked genuinely scared, even Mo had left the room. "Now!" I snapped. Everyone ran out of the room, scurrying off like mice. I was midway through letting out a sigh of relief when I realised.

They didn't delete the footage.

No. No, no, no. No, no, no, no, no. They're gonna jeopardise Meghan, that's not okay. My anger dissipated and melted into sadness and hatred for myself and that team. I collapsed onto my knees, sobbing, letting hot tears claim my rosy cheeks with stains. I heard a door creak open, then close, and footsteps edging closer to me. And finally a pair of arms wrapping around me. "Babe, it's okay." Shit. It's my girlfriend.

"Lex, w- what are you doing here?" She rolled her eyes.

"Jeez lex, it's great to see you. How are you?" She mocked and I let out a dry chuckle. She closed her eyes and pressed a gentle, longing kiss against my lips. A kiss I didn't return. Her hands cupped my cheeks. "And this is where I let you go." She whispered.

"What?"

"Charlie, I can't believe I didn't it before. We both had the chance to fall for each other, and I fell for you, I hit the ground a long time ago. I should've seen that while I was falling, you had already fallen, but not for me."

"Alexa-"

"No, let me finish." She was surprisingly calm, not mad, not upset. Just... calm. I did as I was told. "You're not in love with me, and I don't think you will any time soon, I think you're in deep with Meghan. So, this is where I let you go, Charles Otto." She pressed one last kiss against my slightly parted lips. Then she stood up, walked to the door and left. Still calm, leaving a feeling of serenity surrounding me, while I sat stunned.

Meghan's POV

Tears fell down my cheeks as I watched Charlie's interview. I remembered every moment, the one that I remember most is that talk. 3 months ago, after the AMA kiss. We'd both felt the fireworks exploding in our veins and we knew we needed to talk about it. We also knew that whatever it was, the outcome was bleak. I remember his crestfallen face as we talked, forcing smiles and laughed and I was snuggled close to him, with Family Guy playing on in the background. I remembered the tears falling from his perfect eyes as we finished the conversation. We had 6 months. 6 months to fall out of love with each other. It's already been 5 and a half long months, and my heart still swells at just the thought of him. Fuck it.

I grabbed my black lace coat from the stand and a pair of shades. I left a note on the coffee table for Ryan when he got home from work, stating I had something I needed to do. After about 10 minutes of anxiety later, I pulled up at Charlie's house. I sucked in a deep breath and pulled my knuckle back to knock. Just as I did so, the door swung open quickly, revealing none other than Charlie himself. "Meghan," he breathed out, wide-eyed. He clearly wasn't expecting me to be stood in front of him, I'm not sure he could believe it. Then again, I could barely believe I was stood in front of him either.

"Charlie," I smiled faintly. Instantly his hands cupped my cheeks and he pressed his lips to mine. I melted into the kiss, kissing him back with just as much passion.

"Be mine," he whispered breathlessly, our foreheads touching. I couldn't do anything, I was paralysed by his words. Be mine. At first I dreamed of it, waking up to him every morning. But then I realised we both insanely demanding careers, what if we didn't work? "We'll make it work, Megs, I swear we will. The only thing I know right now is I love you, and that's never going to change." I grinned widely and kissed his addicting lips again.

"I've never wanted to be anybody but yours," I mumbled. He grinned at me and joined our lips once more.

"Good."

A/N: I haven't updated my one shots in foreverrrrrrrrr. What did ya think?

Stay strong lovelies,
- Faye xx