1.3 • Amnesia (Pt. 1)

The car sped along along the road, I knew something was going to happen. I felt it in my gut. You know that horrifying feeling of unease and dread when you know something is going to happen, but you have no idea what. Yeah, like that. I closed my eyes and drew in a deep breath, 'calm down Meghan, calm down'. Charlie appeared next to me, the largest grin on his face, panting with flushed cheeks and ice creams in hand.

"For you m'lady." He chuckled breathlessly.

"Why thank you Charlie Puth." I laughed back, wearing the largest smile on my features you've ever seen. The car had stopped, I'd noticed - about half way down the street - though the feeling in my gut remained, filling everything I did with doubt, but for the most part if forgotten completely about it.

"Ooh, lemme go get you something!" He practically squealed, "You stay right here!" He told me, obviously indicating to the stand selling roses across the road. I nodded, pretending to be oblivious to the flower stand.

"Okay, Charlie, I'll see in a sec." I giggled. He smiled and started to cross.

Then it happened. The dirty red Chevy continued on, speeding as it did so. It crashes straight into Charlie sending him flying and I scream, desperately wanting to run to his limp, lifeless body, but my legs were frozen to the ground, all I could do was scream.

So I did.

I jolted awake, a layer of cold sweat over my forehead. I turned, expecting Charlie to be there, and I remembered.
He wasn't there.
He was in hospital, comatose, lifeless. His light brown hair was greasy and tousled from my fingers running through it, mainly to calm myself down, I couldn't see his auburn eyes light up as he shot me one of his signature cheeky grins. Because he was comatose. The word still cut like a knife, still being fresh in my mind, despite it happening almost two weeks ago. Comatose...

I heard the patter of tiny feet against hard wood floors from outside my room and wiped my tears from my cheeks and face, forcing a smile onto my features, I had to be strong. Not for me; for Charlie, for her.

"Hey baby." I greeted, a sad smile playing on my lips, but a smile all the same.

"Mommy, are you alright?" Elliot asked sweetly, her big emerald eyes shining up at mine, lit up by the sliver of silver moonlight shining through the slight crack in the curtains. Due to how young she was though - and her inability to say words properly yet - "alright" came out as "owight". It was then a ghost of a real smile played on my lips, she was so cute.
She had Charlie's brown hair and my green eyes, other than the eyes though, she was the spitting image of Charlie.

"I'm fine baby girl, just a bad dream, that's all." I saw doubt linger in her eyes and I continued with, "I promise." She looked at me dubiously before nodding in acceptance, happy with my answer.

"Was it about daddy?" She asked me innocently, her own eyes now welling up with tears.

"Yeah, but he'll be okay, I promise." I assured her, not completely believing it myself.

"Pinky pwomise?"

"Pinky promise." I nodded, linking my small finger with her tiny one. I pulled her onto my lap and twisted strands of her hair in my fingers, knowing it calmed her down. I heard her sniffle and my heart broke further, my best friend and husband was in a coma, and my baby girl was hurting because that same man was her dad. "Can we go and see daddy tomowow." She asked, her eyes brimming with hope. I nodded.

"Yeah, we'll go and see daddy tomorrow Ellie, okay?"

"Okay." She yawned, resting her head against my chest. I heard her breathing even out and knew she was asleep. I set her in her own bed and made my way back to my own room, rubbing my temples as I sat upright on my mattress. I clutched Charlie's pillow to my chest and it muffled my sobs, tears were spilling out of my eyes. It still smelt of him.

I woke up around 8, Ellie wasn't awake yet, so I decided I wouldn't wake her up. Not yet. I'll make her breakfast after I've had a shower and if she's still not awake - which is highly unlikely - I'll wake her. I stayed in the shower for a while, thinking. Not about much, but thinking. It was nice not to worry for a while; to just de-stress. Even Charlie didn't plague my thoughts.

When I was out of the shower I noticed Elliot was still sleeping so decided to leave her be for just a little longer, she needs her sleep. I made her fruit salad for breakfast. I had the same, but mine was drizzled with greek style yogurt and instead of Apple Juice I had coffee. When I finished the food I went to go and wake Ellie up, it is 10 after all. I entered her princess pink bedroom; light pink curtains, cream and pink walls, cream bed frame and light pink sheets. I moved swiftly over to her bed and shook Elliot's shoulders gently.

"Daddy?" She mumbled, sleep overtaking her tone. My heart shattered. She rubbed her eyes and I saw her green eyes staring into my identical ones. "Oh." Was all she said as she sat up, her hair a mass of tangles and knots.

"Hi sweetie, I made fruit salad if you want some?" I half asked, half told. She nodded and shrugged. Stroking her hair before I left, I left, not shutting the door behind me. A few minutes later Ellie emerged from the hall, took a seat beside me and started eating without a word.

"Are we going to see daddy today?" She asked hopefully and I smiled at her innocence.

I nodded, "Yes, so we need to eat quick so we can see him early okay?"

"Okay..." She trailed off, "What if he never wakes up?" She sobbed. I sat next to her and held her close to me.

"Hey, hey. It's alright. He will wake up, he will, just wait and see." She sniffled and gazed up at me.

"Were you cwying because of daddy last night?" She questioned, tilting her head to the side slightly. Crap. I didn't think she'd heard that. I just simply nodded. "Okay." She mumbled, snuggling further into me.

-/-/-

"Hello Ms. Trainor, hello Elliot." A nurse smiles. Rita I think it was, she was the nicest nurse here, she got on well with Ellie.

"Hi Rita, how's Charlie?"

"Same I'm afraid." She said sadly. "But hey, no news is good news right?"

"I guess." I tried to force a smile but I'm not sure if it worked. Ellie took my hand and we made our way to the hospital room Charlie was in. To my surprise, when I entered, his eyes were staring into mine.

"Charlie you're awake!" I exclaimed, pure glee washing over me.

"Charlie, who's Charlie? And who the hell are you?"

I wish that I could wake up with amnesia...