2.1 • Freckled Skies

Two hours ago it happened. He lost her. She lost her. They lost her. He broke down crying, she wore a face of confusion. All while Meghan lay there lifeless, eyelids closed, colorless face. Her lips weren't curved upwards into that smile that he'd always loved to see, but they lay in a straight line. Lifeless. Cold. Dead.

Charlie thought about her, their daughter. Their baby. Alyssa. Alyssa Puth. She was only four, but Charlie swore she'd always know who her mother was. Meghan Trainor. Videos of her, photos of her or just Charlie's words. She'll always know her mom.

The ride home was practically silent. Just Charlie's poorly disguised sobs and Alyssa sat in the back, staring aimlessly from the window. "Why did we have to leave mommy?" She questioned innocently.

"Because... Sh- she went to live with the Angels didn't she Lyssa?"

"Oh yeah." She responded, seemingly content with his answer as she stayed silent for the rest of the drive back to their LA home. When they arrived at the house, Charlie switched off the ignition and the car fell entirely quiet, not even the slight humming of the car engine could be heard. He turned his head to his daughter who lay peacefully sleeping in the back seat. He smiled a genuine smile at her innocent face. Her eyelids were closed, the corners of her lips tugged upwards into a gentle smile. She was so oblivious to everything. So oblivious to the evil in the world; the evil that took her mother away from her.

"Oh Lyssa." Charlie sighed sadly. After a while he managed to drag himself from the vehicle and round to her car door. "Come on." He muttered, more to himself that his sleeping daughter. He lugged himself up the stairs and opened the white-painted oak wood door to Alyssa's room. The walls were two different shades of blue, one darker than the other. Her bedframe was wooden and her sheets were blue and floral. On the back of her door was a sketch done by an artist of Meghan, himself and Alyssa when they were on holiday last year. Before it all happened. The calm before the storm.

He lay her down on the bed and pulled the sheets to her chin after changing her into her pajama's. They were blue (surprise, surprise) and they had music notes scattered across the bottoms. "I love you baby girl." He whispered and kissed her on the forehead. He turned to leave and her eyes flickered open.

"The sky." She said sweetly, mumbling slightly.

"What?" He asked the girl, a tear slipping gently down his face as he turned to face her.

"It's freckled. With the clouds, like mommy was. Sometimes, gray clouds cover up the white, fluffy ones. Like mommy and her makeup, her makeup covered up her freckles. Like freckled skies." Charlie sobbed into his daughter.

"Sweetie, mommy isn't ever coming back." The small girl just brushed him off and continued.

"39." She smiled.

"What?" He asked her yet again, having no idea what she was saying.

"She had 39 freckles." She stated, as though it was obvious. He smiled sadly, salty tears falling from his eyes. "She's gone now, she moved away. She went into the sky, to live there. With the angels."

"Heaven gained an angel." Charlie whispered.

"She said, one day I'll see her again. But until then, I have to remember everything that happens and tell her all about it when I see her again." Charlie just broke down in front of the small, blonde haired girl. Her green eyes glistened. The spitting image of her mother.

"And I'll tell you all about that when I see you again." He sung. She smiled lightly, showing her teeth a little and dimples formed on her cheeks. "I love you baby girl, night."

"Night, night daddy." She spoke, yawning. Her eyelids floated closed, covering her emerald eyes. Her two blonde braids rested on her shoulder and her breathing evened out and became heavy and consistent.

"I love you baby girl, I can't lose you. So you stay here okay? Promise?" She wasn't going to answer to he pecked her on the forehead, stood up and quietly tiptoed from her room. I made my way to the other room. Our room. Mine and Meghan's room. I hesitantly pushed open the door to our room. Everything looked so... normal. Everything was just as it was left. The room lingered with her scent. Sweet raspberry. Everything was still normal. It's mind blowing to think that the world still continues to spin when your life comes crashing in on itself. I grabbed her pillow and hugged it to my chest, allowing myself to cry into it. "I loved you Meghan! I fucking loved you so why did you have to go?" I sobbed. I didn't want to remove her scent from the pillow so I placed it gently back in its place. I made my way to the music room and sat at the glossy black grand piano that Meghan got me for Christmas the year before we had Lyssa. 5 years ago.

"It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again" 

I sung this, stopping halfway through as I sobbed.

"Meghan." I sobbed when I finished. "I'll tell you everything when I see you again."

"I know." I looked up and there she was, in all her glory. Black skater skirt, collared shirt with sequins at the cuffs. Her stage outfit.

"I'm going insane." I muttered, closing my eyes and swallowing the lump in my throat. Wishing for it all to go away.

"You're not. Well, maybe. But it's really me." I opened my eyes and she was still there.

"No! You're not! You're dead!" I choked out before dissolving into a sobbing, crying mess on the floor. I wasn't broken hearted, I was broken.

"I am, figuratively. Babe, I need to tell you things." I looked up to face 'Meghan'. "Okay. I love you, that's the first thing. Second, tell Lyssa I love her, I love you both so, so much. I'll always look after you, both of you, I need you to move on Char Char, I need you to." I shake my head.

"No. Never, I love you. Only you. You and Lyss."

"I know that Char, but you've got to. Lyssa needs a mom, I can't be that. I'll be looking after Paige."

"Paige?"

"Our other daughter. I was pregnant when I died. I was going to tell you when I got home..."

"Which never happened because of an asshole drunk."

"Exactly. Anyway, I named her Paige. You liked that name when we were picking Alyssa's name. Promise me you'll find someone Char Char."

"I- I promise." I hiccuped.

"Good, I love you, tell Lyssa yeah?"

"She'll always know her mother." She grinned and those perfect dimples formed on her cheeks.

"I need to go. Whenever you see freckled skies, I want you to think of me alright? I love you both, more than anything."

"I kn-know. I'll think of you whenever I see freckled skies. Swear down." I smiled through my tears and in a blink she was gone. Out of sight. Gone. Forever.

----

Those freckled skies, up above
Whenever I see them I'll think of our love

Those freckled skies, up above
Whether they're in sight or hidden from view, I'll be missing our love

I love you, you love us
I miss you, you miss us

----

A/N : Hi. Hello. Wassup. Me and Lauren ( @megatronz_unite ) are working on a halloween one shot, it should be up halloween (my time) and if it's not, the day after.
Opinions, comments. You get the drill.
Much love blah, blah, blah
~Faye x