Chapter Twenty-Four: Tutor

Chapter Twenty-Four

“Hi Drew,” I greeted, plastering a smile on my face as I plopped down on the chair next to him.

“Hey,” he gave me his usual short greeting before biting on his burrito.

After wasting first to third period fixing things up, we all managed to stop crying, get Blake sober and had a silent agreement to never speak of this situation ever again. Lillian and Jessica managed to forgive each other while Charlie decided that it was best for him and Lillian to cool off for a moment. Lucas, well, let’s just say he’s the one making sure his twin was sane.

We all drove back to school just in time for fourth period. People started to wonder why our group suddenly disappeared then reappeared at the middle of the day. We also managed to drag Blake to school even with his protests during the whole car trip back.

“Where did you guys go?” he asked and we all exchanged a look. Drew lifted his eyebrow, being suspicious already.

 “Nowhere,” Lucas replied calmly, sending me a warning look.

I bit my lip and casted my gaze down to my plate. Lucas didn’t take the fact that I kissed Drew well. He was about to march right down to school back then and if it wasn’t for Charlie who had a steel grip on him, Drew’s face might have been battered and bruised. I pleaded and begged him to stay away from Drew and even right now, I could still see Lucas fuming.

Drew eyed me carefully and I sent him a reassuring smile as I gave his hand a light squeeze. Just so you know, Drew and I are not dating, we’re just extremely comfortable with each other.

The glare Lucas sent our connected hands were murderous. I felt like somebody was drilling a hole at the back of my hand.

Lucas wasn’t the only one paying attention to us, the whole cafeteria is. Looking around, every single person was staring at us with their mouths wide open, inviting flies over.

The student body got used to the fact that somebody like Drew joined our table but looks like they have to get used to another thing.

“Uh oh,” Annabelle muttered. Uh oh indeed, my friend. Lucas gritted his teeth and clenched his fist before slamming it right down on the table, causing everything on it to slightly jump into the air.

“Lucas,” I scolded under my breath.

“You’re not dating him?” he retorted back dryly.

I let go of Drew’s hand and stood up from my seat, “Come with me.”

I walked out of the cafeteria, aware of every single pair of eyes on me. Lucas obediently trailed behind me and thankfully, the hallways were empty.

“God damn it, Cel!” he growled out, pacing back and forth, “You like him, he likes you and where am I in this picture?”

“Lucas,” I started out calmly. Honestly, I have no idea how to make him stop from rambling on.

“Am I the backup plan? If he backfires, maybe I could be here,” he said, “And you know what? I’m an idiot because I’m always ready to pick you up whenever he messes up.”

“Hey!” I yelled, grabbing the side of his face so he could focus his eyes on me, “You’re not a backup plan and you’re most definitely not an idiot.”

His lips pressed into a tight line and I finally let him go, “I gave you a chance to prove that you’re no longer a jerk and honestly, you’re not.”

“But you still don’t like me in that way, don’t you?” he muttered glumly.

“You’re a good friend, Lucas,” I told him sincerely, “You transformed yourself from being my arch enemy into one of my best friend and I’m extremely flattered that you like me but…”