Part 7

Chapter 7

AMY'S POV

My mouth dropped open. I stepped backwards, shocked at his sudden confession of his emotions. I could feel my face getting hot. Even being the daughter of the Dark Lord himself didn't prepare me for this.

"There!" Draco said. I could see him fighting back tears. "I told you! I've had a crush on you for a while. Years. I don't know how long."

A shard of ice pierced my insides. I didn't want to let him down, but it would just be too awkward for me, and for him. I didn't know anything about this kind of stuff. I was ... I was me. A sadness came over me. I honestly pitied him. If he could love someone like me, he must have pretty low standards.

"Dra..." I managed, getting flustered, something that has happened maybe no times in my life.

"Whatever," Draco said, turning away from me to leave. 

"Draco!" I exclaimed. I took a few steps after him.

He turned around quickly, anger in his eyes. "Just back off, Amy! Please! Leave me alone!"

I stopped in my tracks. I blinked. Draco never got mad at me like that, and I certainly never got scared like that. Draco shook his head, then continued strutting over towards his other Slytherin friends. I was left alone.

I scrunched up my face, kicking myself on the inside for letting him down like that. I tried convincing myeslf that it wasn't my fault and it was his because he's pathetic and stupid and his feelings were worthless, but I couldn't bring myself to feel that sort of cruelty. Certainly a first. I felt guilt for the first time in my life.

I wondered if all of these people were rubbing off on me. Turns out there's actually more to life than sadism. Being Voldemort's daughter, I never had to think about how I made other people feel. I was treated like royalty my entire life. Spoiled rotten, pretty much. Whenever I insulted a Death Eater or was mean to any of the Malfoys, they apologized to me for getting in my way. I was used to being the Queen of Bitches. Now, as I consciously realized that I actually made someone feel like crap, it felt worse than I expected. I couldn't help but feel a little bad.

I scoffed at myself. It was pathetic.

I sighed, beginning to walk back over to Potter. At least I had him, right? The Dark Lord's daughter and the Boy Who Lived. Besties for life.

The rest of the class was spent in my subdued silence. My mind was racing and my head was full of thoughts, but they certainly weren't thoughts about Care of Frickin Magical Creatures. After class, I walked back up to the castle with Potter.

"Is something wrong?" he asked with a sideways glance to me.

"No," I answered plainly.

"Did Malfoy give you a hard time?" Potter inquired further.

"I said no, okay?!" I insisted. I sighed. "I'm sorry, Harry, but I don't want to talk about it." I pushed past him and went towards the Slytherin common room. I didn't want to be around anyone, especially Potter and his friends. They made me feel even more like crap.

Later that evening, I sat in my special place in the corner of the common room with my favorite book. I scanned the faces of the crowd of kids in the room at the time. I saw Pansy. She was nice, but irritating and the fakest girl I knew. I saw Blaise Zabini, also tolerable, but he was the most boring person I've ever laid eyes on. I saw Draco's cronies, Crabbe and Goyle. I hated them. Their IQ was close to nonexistent and having a conversation with them was like dragging my head over a bed of nails.

Then I saw Teddy. He was also reading. Teddy was probably the closest thing to a friend I had here. It was really great to see him again after so long. Something about him made me feel more at home. I found my expression soften as I stared at him, curled up in a blanket with a book. I smirked, but then tore my eyes away to continue studying the room.