Part 23

Chapter 23

Amy's POV

I strutted away from Hermione. She had fainted. Weak little Mudblood. I had taken the body bind spell off of her. Anyone who found her would just think she fainted for some reason. Then they would ask her what happened and discover that she had lost her memory.

I didn't use too strong of a spell. She might forget what happened for the past day or two. Hopefully her suspicions of me would be gone as well.

I walked into the building. I went towards my next class. It was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Ugh, that would mean Umbridge. I was late for class, but I didn't really care.

I sat down next to Harry. Umbridge was in her office, so she didn't notice me come in late. I pulled out the DADA book and started reading. I turned to Harry. 

"So what are we doing?" I asked. 

"Just reading. Like always," Harry replied. "Hey, where's Hermione? I thought she was with you." 

"Oh, uh, she was," I said. "I thought she was following me up to the castle, but ... yeah, no Hermione." 

"Where'd she go?" Harry asked. 

"I don't know. I thought she was behind me. Maybe she stayed back with Hagrid or something," I answered, hoping it sounded legit. "I'm sure she's fine." 

Harry didn't respond for a while. He seemed to be thinking. Then he turned back to me. "You know, you're right," he said. "She's probably fine. Oh, and there's a DA meeting tonight. Do you want to come?" 

"Yeah, I'd love to!" I exclaimed.

The rest of class went on normally. Umbridge didn't even make a fuss about my lateness. In fact, I didn't think she even noticed it at all. She seemed like she was in a good mood or something. I didn't know why. If she was happy, then it probably meant that something bad was going to happen. Not that I didn't like bad. 

At the end of class, Harry started walking with me down towards the Slytherin common room. 

"Why are you going this way?" I asked. 

"I have Occlumency with Snape," he replied. 

"That sucks," I said. 

"I know," Harry said. "It's absolutely horrible. Anyway, I'll see you later."

"Right," I said. "DA tonight?"

"Yeah," he answered. "Bye."

I watched him go. I continued down to the Slytherin common room. I was happy that I had him so under my control. Hermione was right. I had him - and Ron - wrapped around my fingers. I smiled to myself. I was doing great.

Suddenly, I heard a scream. I snapped my head up. I hoped it wasn't Hermione. I ran towards where I heard it from. Standing in the courtyard were a ton of students, all gathered around one person. Professor Trelawney.

She was crying. "No ... no ... this cannot be happening! I refuse to accept this!" She was staring at someone that I couldn't see. Although, I had a hunch I knew who it was.

"You mean you didn't realize this was coming?" asked Umbridge. "Incapable though you are of predicting even tomorrow's weather, you must surely have realized that your pitiful performance during my inspections, and lack of any improvement, would make it inevitable you wouldn't be sakced?"  

"You can't!" Professor Trelawney cried. "You c-can't sack me! I've been here for sixteen years! Hogwarts is my h-home!" 

"It was your home," Professor Umbridge said, "until an hour ago. Now kindly remove yourself from this hall." 

McGonagall walked up to Trelawney and patted her on the back. " There, there, Sibyll ... Calm down ... It's not as bad as you think, now ... You are not going to have to leave Hogwarts." 

"Oh really, Professor McGonagall?" Umbridge asked. "And your authority for that statement is -" 

"That would me mine," said a deep voice. Of course, it was Dumbledore. Why couldn't he just stay away? Ugh .... I hated his guts. 

I watched Dumbledore walk down towards Trelawney and Umbridge and McGonagall. I didn't care about this anymore. I walked away from the scene. I didn't like Trelawney, I didn't care if she got sacked, and I didn't want to be around Dumbledore. He was such a good guy. It got on my nerves. Plus I was worried about him discovering the truth about me. He was the only person that gave me or my father any real competition. Or at least, that's what I convinced myself of.

I walked the corridors alone a few hours later. I wanted to get some sleep before the DA meeting tonight. I was turning the corner into the Slytherin hallway when a group of people ran past me. I turned my head. I saw Harry, Ron, and some teachers as part of the group. I grabbed Ron's arm as he ran past me. 

"What the bloody hell is going on?" I asked. 

"It's Hermione! She's - she's not okay!" he exclaimed.

Crap, I thought. This wasn't good at all. I followed him towards the Forbidden Forest where I had left her. She was still there, lying limp on the ground. I had erased her memories, not killed her. What could be wrong? 

We surrounded her. Dumbledore noticed me. "Oh, Amelia! When did you get here?" 

"I uh, I saw you going past," I replied. 

"You were with Hermione earlier today, correct?" Snape asked. 

I used Occlumency on his mind. He suspected me. He also knew I was using Occlumency, as well. He glared at me, ordering that I stopped at once. 

"Yeah, I was her partner in Care of Magical Creatures today," I replied.

"What happened?" McGonagall asked.

"Well," Dumbledore said. "It looks as if she was attacked. Her memory seems to be gone. Amelia, was there anything odd going on with her today?" 

Something about the way he asked the question made me think that he already knew the answer. I answered nevertheless. "Not that I remember, Professor," I answered. I was sure yo used my best manners. "I thought she was following me back to the castle. When I got to Defense Against the Dark Arts, she wasn't there. I assumed she had stayed back with Hagrid for something."

"We didn't realize something was wrong," Harry said. "We didn't even think that she would be in danger."

"Well, the good news is, she's going to be okay," Dumbledore said. "The bad news is she is going to  have a few days of memory lost, though, with no way of retrieving it." 

I grinned to myself. Exactly as planned.

"The only thing we need now is to find out who did it," Dumbledore said. "I won't stop until we find them." 

His gaze raked over all of us. I tried to make no visible reactions to this as felt my stomach drop. I just hoped he wouldn't be smart enough to find out it was me.