Amy Riddle - Part 1

Chapter 1

Amelia's POV

I woke up late that morning, as usual. I wasn't one for early mornings. I got out of bed, the chilly air biting at my toes. I shivered. Rubbing my eyes, I found my slippers, and slipped my feet into them.                                                              

My name is Amelia Riddle, Amy for short. Yes, I am related to the infamous Tom Riddle. You probably know him as Voldemort, or You-Know-Who, or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, or the Dark Lord, or whatever - I know him as Dad. I am 15 years old. People say I am just like my father. I think I am. I don't really know if I am. Especially with looks and all. I mean, I sort of looked like him when he was more human looking, but now to say that I looked like him would earn you a right good slap. People also say my father doesn't love anything. That's not true. My father loves one thing. Two, counting his snake. He does love me. Do I love him? I would say so.

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to fix up my hair.  When I looked in the mirror, I sighed in frustration. My hair was a bird's nest of a mess just about every morning. Today it was more nest than usual. I flattened it down, too lazy to put more than three brush strokes through the tangled mess.

I went to the kitchen when I went downstairs. I walked to the freezer and grabbed some ice cream: chocolate, of course. I loved junk food. No one had the guts to stop me from eating it either. I think they're too scared to, with my father's status and all. Insulting me was almost as bad as insulting the man himself. It's a miracle I'm as skinny as I am. After grabbing a spoon, I peeked into my father's study for a quick "good morning." He was sitting at a desk with his snake, Nagini. I walked in silently and sat in front of him.

"Morning, Father," I said.

"Good Morning, Amelia," he said, turning to me.

I took a bite of ice cream. "What're you doing?" I asked, leaning in.

"Nothing," Father said, evasively - and disdainfully, if I might add - pushing away his plans, or notes, or whatever it was. "Why do you eat that?" He asked, shaking his head in disappointment. I inwardly shrugged, in regards to his papers. It was probably his plans on taking over the wizarding world or whatever he liked to do for a hobby. Not much of an interest to me, believe it or not.

I took a bite. "Gets the job done. I'm starving," I said. I took another bite. "And I like it."

Father didn't protest, but instead narrowed his snakelike eyes. "You were the last to awake," he said.

"As per usual," I pointed out, yawning. "I'm a teenage girl." I took another bite of ice cream. "I'll be dressed soon," I said, getting up and leaving. Before I left, I scooped a bit of ice cream out with my fingers and tossed it to Nagini. She swallowed it.

"Don't feed that to her," Father said."She's on a diet."

"She likes it," I said plainly.

"No, she doesn't," he replied.

"She can decide for herself," I said, holding in a smile. "And a diet? Please. She's looking bigger than usual."

My father looked at Nagini with a frown, probably deciding whether or not I was right about her, deciding what kind of diet to give her next. I walked into the kitchen to put my ice cream away. I, on the topic of snakes, had inherited my father's skill to speak to them - called Parselmouth, in the Wizarding World. In fact, where was my snake, Ebony? Probably looking for rats or something else that wasn't weird diet snake food because I was a normal person who didn't scrutinize the details of how much my pet snake weighed. I didn't worry about him.

I went up into my room and got dressed into my basic everyday outfit. After I got dressed I brushed my teeth and combed my hair as much as my tangled excuse for hair would let me. I put on a fresh layer of makeup and went downstairs for the day.

I was bored. You would think that being Voldemort's daughter gives you unlimited fun and awesome stuff to do every day. But that wasn't at all how it worked. My father got mad at me, or rather, my temper a lot. I had a nasty temper (inherited from my father, of course, so I didn't understand why he got so angry all the time). I was rarely ever let out of the house. You can only imagine how the same pattern of doors, walls, and rooms was so infinitely redundant. I only had one friend, Draco Malfoy, and I never ever had anything to do. Oh, and I've never been to Hogwarts. That's definitely on my list of things to accomplish in this bloody boring life.

I remembered where Draco was. Typically we would spend our days together. When he was off at Hogwarts it was even worse. But over the holidays and the summer we would often hang out together, playing pranks on the Death Eaters that would come and go. It took a lot of me convincing Draco to switch the milk with a potion or put bugs in the cereal. Honestly, Draco was a wimp. A real Daddy's boy, to say the least.

But today he was in Diagon Alley, probably, searching for some robes, cauldrons, and all that crap you need for Hogwarts. School or not, it was better than this sorry excuse for a life. Oh, how I wished I could go. I would trade homework for this monotony any day. I stomped back upstairs to my room. Maybe Ebony was back. I could talk to him about something.

He was. "Hey Eb," I said, flopping down on my bed and instinctively talking in Parseltongue.

"What's wrong?" he asked, curling up near my head.

"Life's so frickin' boring!" I exclaimed. "I never have anything to do!"

"Why don't you ask your father to go to Hogwarts?" Ebony asked.

I snorted. "You think I haven't?" I asked, remembering the thirteen dozen times I had asked him before. "Nah, it's not like I've done that seven hundered billion times." But the answer was always no - Dark Lord or not, he was overprotective.

"Why don't you ask him again?"

"Wow, Eb, that's a real great idea."

"But offer him something in return."

I sighed. "Listen, I know you're a snake and all, but you really don't know much about human life, do you? Eb, the only thing he could possibly want in return is like ... like ..." I paused. "Like if I were to kill Harry Potter or something."

If Ebony could raise his eyebrows, I think he would have been. "So why don't you?"

"What the hell do you mean?"

"Say that you'll spy on Harry Potter," Ebony explained. "Draco's past that point, he certainly can't do it. Potter and Malfoy won't speak to each other, unless it's ridicule. You're a new face. Offer your father a deal - you get out of the house, you get to go to school. In return, you'll spy on the Potter boy, get to know him. Become his friend. I would imagine how your father needs eyes on the inside."

My eyes lit up. The idea was honestly not too bad. "Eb ... you're a genius! A snake genius! I'm going to see Father."