Part 8

Chapter 8

SNAPE'S POV

I sat in my office, turning thoughts over in my mind. I was thinking about one student in particular - Amelia Wolfe. I would have passed her off as any normal student, but there was something very wrong with her. She had been trying to keep something from me. I had tried searching her mind but it was conveniently closed. How did she learn Occlumency? It was an extremely difficult thing to accomplish. Who could have taught her that? But most importantly: Who was she? She definitely had slipped up while she had been introducing herself to me.

It's Ri -

What was she about to say? Another name? Was she under a fake last name? Wolfe? I didn't know of any Wolfes. I frowned deeply. If she had messsed up so easily, it must mean that she hadn't been under this name for very long.

Who was she?

I would get to the bottom of this.

TEDDY'S POV

I walked into the common room to witniss a stange sight. Amy was curled in a chair in the corner. It looked like she was crying, but her shoulders were still. I was shocked, but I wondered what had gotten her so upset to send her into this breakdown. Knowing her, I realized showing weakness would be the last thing she wanted to do. So it must have been really bad.

"Amy?!" I hurried over to her. "What's wrong?"

Amy looked up. She quickly rubbed her eyes. "Nothing. What are you talking about?"

"Amy, tell me." I sat down by her side, taking her hand. "I promise I won't tell. You can trust me."

She frowned, but then sighed. "It's Draco. He hates me now. Becuase of ... because of my mission, because I came here. Because of ... whatever I have with you." She looked down, either ashamed, sad, or embarrassed. Or all three.

"It's my fault," I said immediately. "If I'm getting in the way of your best friend, then it doesn't matter. He comes first."

Amy shook her head. "No." Amy smiled weakly. "It's not you. It's my fault. I shouldn't have... Right after he told me...."

"What did he tell you?" I asked, simply curious, and not mad at all.

"He told me how he felt about me..." Amy wiped at her eyes again. "About how he had liked me for years... I had no idea. And I don't feel the same way about him. He is - was - my best friend. My one and only wizard friend. And now he's gone. Gone for good." She ran a hand through her messy hair. "And I'm me. I can't do anything around it."

"No, he's not gone," I said. "He'll come around. Eventually."

"I don't think he will," Amy said. "He's so mad at me. He won't come around until we're over. But I... I don't want that either."

Teddy smirked. "It'll be fine. And it's okay that you're you. I like you. Let's just give him some space for a while, alright?"

Amy nodded weakly. "Sorry... to put you through all of this."

"No problem," I said. I leaned in for a hug, but decided it was better to just support her as a friend. No need for any more confusion. So I gave her hand a small squeeze.

HARRY'S POV

"But how can you be sure!?" Hermione exclaimed. Like always, she didn't believe me.

Yesterday, Amy had yelled at me. Not a serious argument, but just a slight raise of her voice. Normally, it wouldn't be a big deal. I would forgive her. But I could have sworn I saw her eyes flash scarlet for a fraction of a second. A hundreth - thousandth, even - of a second. It was only a trick of the light, I supposed.