Part 5

Chapter 5

DRACO'S POV

I noticed Amy walk back into the common room with Teddy Nott. I frowned. Did they have anything together?

I remembered Teddy Nott. His father, being a Death Eater, would come over to my house a lot when I was younger to talk with my father. I remember the three of us, myself, Teddy, and Amy, playing togethar as children. Then, Teddy and I had to go to school. We were both in Slytherin and we had the connection of Death Eater relatives, but other than that we didn't have much in common. I never really liked the kid, anyway. He was always cheery - always looking for the bright side in everything.

I looked away and went back to focusing on my book. I wasn't in a good mood. Even though Amy was in Slytherin, I still felt like I wasn't getting enough time to see her. In our free time she had to spy on Harry Potter, and in her school time we would get in trouble for talking. I've always wanted her to come to Hogwarts with me, but I wanted it to be for me. Not for Potter.

The truth is, I liked Amy. Most people think she's a horrible, cruel, evil monster, which is half right, but when she's around me, she's not like that. I felt like I knew the real her. Behind her mask of cruelty there was someone else. Someone real. I've liked her since I met her. But her being You-Know-Who's daughter doesn't help. She's basically off limits. He would never approve of anybody for her. Most dads are like that, anyway, even if they are the most powerful dark wizard of all time.

I knew Amy and I could never be a thing, but I could still hope. I sighed, closing my book and heading to bed. Best not to dwell on it at the moment.

***
The next morning when I woke up, I immediately checked my schedule. As desperate as it sounds, I wanted to see what classes Amy and I had together. I had Potions first thing, followed by Defense Against the Dark Arts and then Care of Magical Creatures. I groaned. For the first day of school, this wasn't necessarily what you would call "easing in."

The other students began trickling out of their Dorms. I turned around, waiting for Amy.

"Hi Amy!" I exclaimed, seeing her walk sleepily down the stairs.

She rubbed her eyes. "Damn. I mean, I knew I wanted to go to school but I really don't want to go to school. I haven't woken up this early since I was ... let's see, uh, in the freakin' womb," she said. "Well, what's our first class?"

I grabbed her schedule, quickly reaing over it. "Potions," I answered. I paused for a moment to make it seem like I wasn't only obsessed with her relationship with other boys. "So, er... you met Teddy?"

"Yeah," I answered. "I told him who I was."

"Coo - wait, what?"

"Well, I had forgotten, but we've met before!" Amy smiled. "His father.... well, you know. He came to your house and we played with him. I decided it would be safe telling him."

"That's ... yeah, I guess that makes sense," I said. "So what did you think of him?"

"Oh, he's fine, I guess," Amy said. I narrowed my eyes, searching for a flush in her skin.

"Just fine?" I asked. "Anything else?"

"He was funny, and nice, and easy to get along with," Amy stated simply. "I don't have to prentend around him, you know?"

I frowned. "Did you like him?"

"Like that?" Amy asked. "I dunno, really. Maybe. I don't know! I've only just seen him again. " Finally, a gentle red color was appearing on her pale cheecks. It wasn't like her to get flustered, ever. Maybe they did have something with each other. I hoped they didn't.