Part 24

Chapter 24 

AMY'S POV

I helped them bring Hermione back into the castle and into the Hospital Wing. We waited around her, talking about what happened. 

"Amelia, do you mind telling me what happened one more time?" Dumbledore asked, although by the way he asked it, I knew that he wasn't wondering what had happened. He was suspicious. Hr was wondering if I had done it. 

"Well, Hermione and I were in Care of Magical Creatures together," I explained. "We were paired up, working on defining the characteristics of a bowtruckle. When class was over, Hermione and I walked back up to the castle. Um, we were talking, just about stuff. I asked her if she was excited for Easter, we talked about ... just stuff. Nothing seemed weird."

Dumbledore didn't say anything, so I kept explaining, crafting an easy story around the close truth. "A little ways up to the castle, Hermione said she was going to be a while. I didn't think anything of it - I assumed that she had just remembered to ask Professor Hagrid about something. I went back up to the castle. I didn't notice that she was late for class until I was with Harry. But even then we didn't think anything was wrong." 

Dumbledore nodded. But it wasn't an "I believe you, thanks" nod, it was a "I don't know if she's suspicious" nod.

Inwardly, I rolled my eyes. He was being ridiculous. I mean, yeah, I did it, but he was being ridiculous in the way that he would never find out what I did. He was such an idiot.

"Thank you, Amelia," Dumbledore said. "If you and Harry and Ron want to leave, that's fine with me."

"Sure, thanks, Professor," Harry said. "Let's go, guys."

We left the Hospital Wing and headed down the corridor. We were silent.

"Man, it sucks about what happened to Hermione," I said. "God, I hope she's okay."

"Dumbledore said she will be," Ron said. "So she will be."

"Right," I said. "So is DA still on for tonight?"

Harry and Ron looked at each other, probably wondering if they should. It might be too much, right after Hermione, but it would take their minds off of it. And besides, she was going to be okay, and it was alright to miss just one meeting.

 "You know, yeah," Harry said. "I'll make the meeting tomorrow, if that's alright."

"Sure," I said. "Get the word out, will you?"

"Yep," Harry said. "See you."

I walked back to the common room. I was exhausted. I couldn't wait for a good night's sleep. I just wanted to crash on my bed. First though, I wanted to tell Draco and Teddy about -

Right.

I walked into the common room. I saw Teddy reading in the corner. He looked up when I looked over. I gave him a smile and a small wave. It wasn't returned.

My face fell slightly - I couldn't help it.

I walked up to my dormitory and flopped on my bed, to tired to do anything else. I took a deep breath and rolled on my side. My only friend in Slytherin slithered  and coiled around my wrist. I smiled.

"Hey, Eb," I breathed quietly in Parseltongue. I pulled up the sleeves on my robe to hide him so we could both sleep peacefully.

HERMIONE'S POV - The next day.

I woke up groggily. I was in the Hospital Wing. Madam Pomfrey was cleaning up the things on the bedside table next to me. I couldn't remember how I got here. I blinked a few times.

"Oh, Miss Granger, you're awake!" she exclaimed. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I said. "My head hurts. How did I get here? What happened?"

Madam Pomfrey gave me some medicine. "For your head." I drank it. "You lost your memory. Not long term," she added when I gave her a frightened look. "You might not remember the past few days. You stayed here overnight. You can leave whenever you feel alright."

"Thanks, Madam Pomfrey," I said, getting out of bed.

I walked down the corridor. Hm. I lost my memory. I didn't remember how that had happened. The last thing I remember, I was in class. Care of Magical Creatures. That was ... yesterday? I didn't lose as much as I would have thought.

But I had this bad feeling. If only I remembered why.

AMY'S POV

I was happy as I walked down the hallway towards the Room of Requirement. I didn't know why. I was just ... happy. You've probably had one of those unexplainable happy days too, am I right? The door opened for me as it did for everyone in the DA. When I got there, I saw Harry, Ron, and to my surprise, Hermione.

"Oh, Hermione!" I exclaimed. "You're alright!"

"Yeah, I'm good to go," Hermione replied. Her eyes narrowed.

Oh, please don't tell me she remembered.

 "I'm glad you're okay," I said. "I was worried. And I thought you were right behind me, too. I thought you had just gone back to Hagrid's. But ... it's great that you're alright."

"Thanks," Hermione said. "That's really nice of you."

I smiled. Well, it didn't seem like she remembered. Or of she did, she was a good liar. I tried Occlumency. I read her thoughts up to when we were in Care of Magical Creatures, then nothing, then waking up. It was strange.

"Anyway, what are we going to do today?" I asked.

"A Patronus Charm," Harry replied.

I grinned. "Awesome," I said, lying. I knew how to do a Patronus. My Patronus was a snake. And if he saw my Patronus, then bad things could start happening. What could I do? I couldn't change my Patronus.

"Hey, uh, Amy?" Harry asked. "You're a really talented witch, you know, so I was just wondering if you could help out the other kids. I assumed you already knew how to do one."

"Yeah, I do," I replied. "And thanks. Sure, I'll help." Thank you, Harry. You just solved my problem

"What is your Patronus?" Harry asked.

"Um, a wolf," I replied. "It's funny, cause my last name is Wolfe." I gave myself a pat on the back. That was a pretty awesome quick answer.

"Yeah, that's cool," Harry replied.

When the other kids arrived, Harry made a short speech about why last night's meeting was canceled, what we were going to be doing, blah, blah, blah.

"Oh, and Amy is going to be helping out too," Harry said. The kids looked at me and nodded. Some reluctantly, some eagerly. I didn't care, though.

I walked around to each kid, making sure they knew how to do it. I showed them the movements, told them how to think of happy thoughts, and other stuff like that. I was good at it. But I was actually being nice ... and helpful! Oh no. That would have to change.

Suddenly, I heard a crashing noise. Neville (I was helping him) and I looked up. I didn't know where it was coming from. The Patronuses faded. Harry and the other students looked up as well. There was another one. And another one, and another one.

All of a sudden, all the glass on the glass wall came shattering down, leaving cold stone behind it. The small kid who's name I didn't know, Harry, and I crept forward, curious to see what was causing the explosions. The kid got in close towards the stone, peering out through a hole left, probably by the explosions.

I heard a voice. "Bombarda Maxima."

I grabbed Harry and the other kid and pulled them back. The entire wall came exploding down. Standing there were Umbridge, Crabbe, Goyle, a ton of other Slytherin kids, and to my surprise, Draco. He didn't meet my eyes.

"Get them!" Umbridge cried.