Chapter 8

Chapter 8

       I marched out of her room and down the hall, but stopped about twenty to thirty feet before the dining room. I turned right and hurried towards the main door. I used my full strength to push them open before I walked into the garden. If when I reached the fountain, I turned right; then I would be heading to the stable, but to the left was the field. I continued from the fountain and could hear horses braying; then I turned away from it towards the field. The path was short, making it a quick trip.

       As I reached the edge, I put my hair into a bun before continuing to the storage shed. I kicked the door open and stomped inside. A single lantern provided light to sparkle on the swords. I waved over the hilts till I decide, which finished in one picking up a long blade. I tested it swiftly before exiting.

       Walked out to the middle of the field before I practiced several forms. After about a hour of strengthening skills, a young guard of great built strode up, chest puffed. “My princess, what's bring you to my field?” he said as he seemed to study me; so I did the same. He was stocky with dark reddish-brown hair, while his brown eyes beamed with too much pride. His sword gleamed from his belt and his uniform had been recently washed and pressed.

       “Your field? I believe my father owns this entire field...no...this entire city. Correct me if I'm wrong Guard...” I answered confidentially, not losing his gaze for a moment. He would not pressure me into leaving or feeling like I worthless.

       “Guard James Night at your service, my princess; and no, you're correct. Everything you see does belong to your father, the King; but still this is where I always train, so if you don't mind,” he told as he motioned for me to scoot.

       I crossed my arms, making my blade stick out and stood my straightest, but he still towered over me. “Excuse me, but I do mind and as your princess, I challenge you to a duel for this spot,” I replied boldly as I drew my sword and held it at ready.

       “My princess, I can't. Will you just move?” he pleaded as he glanced around and out of the corner of my eye, I could see the captain and other guards parading up.

       “No and you must duel me, Guard James,” I ordered as the guards formed a ring, trapping us inside.

       “I will duel you,” he repeated, drawing his sword and from its appearance it was heavier than mine. It’s hilt was decorated with a silver wire spiraling up and his name was painted in gold underneath the wire.