Chapter 6

Chapter 6

       I grumbled as I walked into the hallway and searched for Will, but didn't see him. I took a deep breath before trudging down the hall. My family would have already gathered in the dining room; so I began running, turning right through two big wooden doors.

       The dining room may not be as big as the ballroom, but it had its own style. The ceiling was high, but wasn't made of glass. The walls were a pale yellow and in between them was a maple table, able to sit twenty to maybe thirty people. The back of the chairs were craved with pictures of animals and famous scenes.

       My father waved from the head of the glorious table with my mother delicately eating scrambled eggs to his right. My sister beautifully sat in the chair next to mine, which was on the left of my father. Her hands rested in her lap, just staring at the food.

       I walked past my sister and pulled out my chair. “Rue? The food too plain for you?” I asked, sitting down and quickly scooting in. I glanced at my father then my mother and greeted, “Good morning.”

       “No, it's fine,” Ruby grumbled as she moved her spoon around her plate.

       “Good morning, sweetie. Did your powers appear?” my mother asked after she cleared her plate. “Ruby eat it. It won't kill you.”

       My sister groaned that she felt bad as I put my wrist on the table and uncovered it. “Let me see,” my father ordered; so I moved my arm closer.  “Oh Sapphire. I'm so sorry.”

       “No! No!” my mother screamed, pushing away after seeing the crescent moon.

       “Mom don't be afraid. Relax,” I cried, focusing on her.

       “I won't be afraid. I shall relax,” my mother muttered as she came back to the table and placed her hand on my father's shoulder. Her eyes seemed to be glossed over and she was very relaxed.

       “We will have to hide it. He defiantly can't know about this...” my father started, scratching his chain.

       “Who can't? Why?” I exclaimed, banging my fist on the table.

       “Your betrothed, dear Sapphire. The wedding has been moved up. We have only two weeks to get ready and for you to arrive in Medada,” my mother explained as she slowly reached down to grab my father's hand.

       “But...the deal was when I turned twenty!” I gasped as I began to pace, tears streaming down my face.

       “It was changed the night of your birthday,” my father told as he pushed up his chair and stood. He walked over to me, his feet thumping on the ground before his hand landed on my shoulder. “Go with your sister and hide it anyhow. Do not let anyone outside this family know. Understand, Sapphire?”

       “Yes sir,” I cried as I heard a chair slide back then I saw Ruby swaying over.

       “Come on,” she urged, grabbing my wrist and dragging me out. Her room lay opposite of mine; so we marched down the hall and into it.