Dreaming Alone: Chapter Twenty-eight

...when you first told me you love me.

I glared at myself in the mirror as his voice continued to resonate in my mind. Why did I even go for the most observant and intuitive person I've met? Of all the people in the world, I chose him and now I can't stop from worrying because of what he said.

"Stupid eyes" I muttered under my breath.

But then again, do I really look at him the same way I did before? I'm not even aware of it. I wonder if Luke's just bluffing and he's trying to see how I'd react just to satisfy his delusion that I'm still into him.

What if he's not? Something inside me asked since I know that Luke's not one to bluff.

I sighed loudly before looking at my reflection once more.

Two girls walked in the powder room giggling as they gushed about something I have no idea about. They probably saw a cute waiter or something. Which brings me back to the reality that I'm in the restaurant where Faith works with Luke.

I need her advice and I better grab this chance to talk to her. I can only imagine the look on her face when she sees me with Luke tonight.

Walking out of the powder room, I spot Luke talking to our waiter for tonight. They're probably talking about dessert or something, or maybe he's asking for Faith.

I swerved through tables, trying to look like I haven't been thinking about what Luke told me a week ago when we got our masks for his party. He immediately stood up as soon as he saw me and pulled my chair back like the gentleman that he is.

I uttered a thank you as I sat down and smiled back at the waiter who gave me a smile before walking back to the kitchen.

"He's going to get Faith" he said before gesturing to the lava cake in front of me.

My eyes darted towards the now empty space beside me where a chair was standing. It was supposed to be where Wil should be but he didn't make it tonight because he said he had to meet someone important.

I must admit that it's starting to irritate me that he had to be away for so long and not have too much time to talk to me. I don't wanna be that high maintenance kind of girlfriend though. I just miss him a lot.

"Alex!" I heard a familiar chime of voice which yanked my attention away from my thoughts.

I turned and smiled at Faith who's smiling brightly at me. I stood up and gave her a tight hug as she trapped me within her arms. She held me at arm's length after letting me go and winked.

Her usual loose hair's now in a bun and her normally trendy outfit replaced with a chef's uniform.

"You look professionally pretty" I complimented her and her smile widened.

"Thank you" she crinkled her nose like she does whenever she's flattered.
"You look pretty too" she said before turning her head to smirk at Luke. "You look nice, Luke. So, where's my godbrother?"

"He can't make it tonight—work" Luke answered and Faith nodded slowly.

"I see" she said before looking back at me with her we-need-to-talk kind of look.

"Congratulations on your promotion by the way" Luke said which made her smile.

"Thank you" she directed her smile before thanking a waiter who handed her a chair.

I just learned that Faith's now a sous chef and that's why Luke wanted us to visit her to celebrate. I asked Wil if he knew and he said yes but he was a bit busy he forgot to tell me about it, so he asked Luke to tell me.