Dreaming Alone: Chapter One

Darkness-most of the time it embodies silence (to me at least) and when it's quiet it lets you think about things and concentrate on them. I like contemplating but what I hate about it is when it takes back memories that I don't want to remember.

Memories-one of the best and worst things ever created. It makes one cry most of the time and it can either be because of happiness or sadness.

"So what do you want to do now?" asked Wil.

His voice brought me back to reality and I sighed. I wondered how long I sat there in silence as the blaring sound from the speakers began to fill my ears once more and the ignored presence of people around us declared itself once more.

I shook my head. "I don't know. What do you want to do now?" I directed the question to Faith who just emerged from the crowd and looked at us as if we've grown an elephant's trunk.

"I don't know" she shrugged. "I've been having fun during the last hour while you two just sat here. Seriously Alex, you should go meet people."

"That's what I told her" Wil chimed in.

"And what did she say?" Faith asked.

"I said it's not a good idea" I answered.

"Don't tell me you're still not over him" she rolled her eyes.

"I'm over him" I mumbled.

Faith muttered something and looked at Wil who was looking at me before turning her gaze towards me.

"You should go out with Wil" she grinned while shoving Wil's hands away from her.

"Faith" his voice came with a hint of warning but she widened her eyes at him.

"I'm just giving a suggestion! She doesn't want to meet people then she should go for someone she already met" she smiled at her idea.

"I don't like your suggestion" said Wil.

I decided to ignore their conversation and looked at the crowd in front of us. All of them are busy moving and thumping to the beat of the music which swallowed the place. I wonder if it's still raining outside.

"I'm going home" I cut them off and they looked at me. "I can feel my bed longing for my touch."

"I'm sure Wil won't mind giving you a ride home" Faith winked and pecked my cheek. "I'll call you tomorrow."

"Take care" I said and walked outside with Wil behind me.

It was pouring outside and I felt guilty watching Wil run towards his car. It's crazy how the weather changes these days. It was scorching hot this morning but now everything's soaking wet. I ran towards Wil's car and smiled at him when I got in.

"You're soaked" I remarked but he just smiled.

"I have a clean shirt in my bag but I'm not gonna change while you're here."

"Why? You might catch a cold."

"I don't want to distract you with my scorching good looks" he winked.

"Oh please" I laughed. "I'm immune to your good looks."

"You're hurting my ego" he smiled as he continued to drive. "But it's okay, I know you're just denying that I do have a certain effect on you-no matter how faint it is."

"If you say so" I raised my brows.

I watched the road get even more soaked in the darkness as Wil quietly drove. We sat still when he stopped in front of my house and I wondered if I should get going since it's getting a bit awkward for me.

Wil's a good guy. We've been friends since high school and even though we went to different universities, our friendship stayed the same. Faith always teased him whenever I'm around and I found it silly until he told me about his feelings for me two days after we graduated. I guess Faith really knows how to see through someone who's very close to her. After all, Wil is her godfather's son which makes him her...godbrother? I'm not sure. But they grew up together so they know each other like the back of their hands.

Wil is an attractive guy but I guess I just couldn't let myself see more to it.

"So are you coming tomorrow?" he asked and I sat up because of how his voice cut off my trail of thoughts.

"Are they really going to hold the reunion tomorrow? If it's at the beach, what if it rains?"

"I think I know why you're hesitating" he grinned. "It's a beach and there're surfing doodads that might remind you of him."

"Surfing doodads wouldn't remind me of him. I'm just concerned about the weather."

"Have you really moved on?"

I looked at Wil and pondered a bit about his question. How do you know when you've already moved on? I'm not so sure but I do know that I'm no longer crying myself to sleep at night.

"Silly of me to ask" he mumbled to himself before smiling at me.

"I better get inside" I said without looking at him. "So you can change your shirt without distracting me with your scorching good looks" I added to lighten up the atmosphere around us.

"Right" he smiled. "Let me know if you'll go tomorrow-or Faith, let her know so she can let me know as well."

I let out a soft laughter and smiled at him. "Sure. Drive safe" I said and got off.

I stood by the door as I waited for his car to make a turn by the end of the street before walking inside the house. I felt the darkness welcome me as silence embraced me once more as I closed the door behind me.

**********************

The sun surprisingly made an appearance this morning which made our high school reunion possible. Faith and Wil are more sociable than I am so I did my best to stay behind, keeping a fine distance between people who I used to go to the same school with and myself.

"He's not here."

I almost jumped at Faith's voice.

"Who's not here?" I asked.

"Do you want me to say his name?"

By the time she asked me that, I knew then who she was talking about.

"Okay" I said immediately and she smiled.

"You know, you should really give Wil a shot."

"I don't want him to think that he's just some rebound" I said as I watched Wil talk with some of our batch mates from where we were sitting.

"You're the only one who thinks that. You said that you're over him so I don't see any problem with that."

I felt her eyes dig their way through me as I tried my best not to turn my head towards her.

"It's been three years, Alex. Maybe Wil's the answer to healing your once broken heart. I know you're tired from all the time you spent on you-know-who. But I know that you know how strong you are with all the trouble you've been through. It's time for you to try again."

I looked at her and smiled before looking at Wil who's now sitting down beside me.

"So what are you guys talking about?" he asked.

"Just an idea" I answered.

"You guys want to go somewhere?" he asked and I was about to ask Faith for her input when her grip on my arm called my attention and I studied her face. I looked at where she's looking and I felt my eyes widen.

There he stood with all his glory, his eyes locking in on mine and I decided to stand up and leave but my legs didn't seem to agree. I sat there frozen as he walked towards us-me-and when he got there, he smiled. He smiled as if nothing happened three years ago. He smiled as if he doesn't remember.

"Alexandra" my name smoothly ran through his tongue and I swallowed. "It's so nice to see you."