Dreaming Alone: Chapter Four

I stopped and looked at him from where I am. I estimated the distance between us and wondered if he can see me or not. I mean, I may or may not be standing about twenty feet away from him.

If I turn around and walk away, it wouldn't be too obvious that I'm avoiding him as long as he doesn't know that it is me who's standing right here. Maybe I could just walk past my house until I'm out of sight. But wait, why am I going to avoid him? Just because he's standing in front of my house doesn't mean anything, right?

Oh well.

I took a deep breath and began to walk towards my house. I shut off all thoughts in my mind but I couldn't help but wonder why he's here and how he found out where I live. I'm pretty sure Faith didn't tell him where I live. Wil's the last person on Earth who would give him my address.

"Alex" he smiled and waved.

I just stared at him as I continued my steps. He stood there and his blonde hair's drenched, his skin pale to the obvious temperature outside and his eyes reflected the sky. His white shirt drenched and clinging to every part of his torso it's supposed to cover. How long has he been standing here?

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I—"

"How did you find out where I live?" I cut him off. I need to know why he's here and more importantly, why he came back.

"Your cousin told me where you live when I called him the other night to congratulate him" he answered.

Of all the people in the world, my cousin was the last person I expected to give him my address.

"He wanted me to give you the dress your aunt picked for you" he said and pointed to the white box that's safely sitting by the porch. "I stayed to make sure that I'm in the right place."

"Is there anything that you need to give me?"

Luke shook his head.

"Oh okay. Goodbye then" I nodded and was about to walk away from him and towards my house when it came to my attention that he's still standing there.

I sighed and faced him. "Is there anything else you need to say?" I asked.

"No" he shook his head. "I just want to make sure that you're safely inside before I leave."

I bit my lower lip and studied his face. What is going on with him? Why would he want to watch me until I get inside and close the door just like he did years ago? He backed out on us when his mother told him to and yet here he is, making an appearance and wants to watch me get inside my house before he leaves? This is unbelievable.

"Why'd you even come back? The last time I checked, your mom didn't want you anywhere near this particular place in this planet where we live in."

I looked straight at his eyes as his seems to study every inch of my face, probably looking for any sign of weakness that screams his name. He won't find one though. I've moved on and the only effect he has on me is only a fragment of what I felt for him before.

He continued to study my face and it made me uncomfortable. Why won't he answer my question?

With a sigh, I turned around to return to the safety of my house—where I know I'll be safe from those eyes that looks like it doesn't want to let mine go.

"I wanted to see you" he answered. "I want to see you again."

Blood rushed through my face but I couldn't point out the exact emotion that caused it. Something inside me longed for those exact words to escape his lips but a greater part of me wanted to scream at his face—claw it even—but I kept my mouth shut for next minute while I contain my emotions.