Dreaming Alone: Chapter Five

I looked around the bookstore and took it all in. There are about five rows of bookshelves and there're a few more on the wall enclosed by glass, most of them composed of collections. They have some sort of a mini café with cakes, coffee and hot chocolate at one side and in front of the shelves are tables and comfy seats for people eating or reading books. Soft music played in the background and everyone inside looks satisfied, including myself.

Wil was right, I do like the ambiance.

"I thought you wouldn't show up" Wil smiled as he sat down in front of me.

"I thought you wouldn't show up" I said as I watched him take a whiff from the cup of coffee he's holding.

"Then we both thought wrong" he smiled.

"Why do you do that?" I asked him as he settled down the cup.

"Do what?" he asked back.

"Buy a cup of coffee and not drink it. All you do is smell it and then that's that."

"I'm allergic to caffeine but I love the smell of coffee."

"I should give you a jar of coffee beans then."

He laughed softly and stared at me for a moment.

"I give it to some beggar who's cold every now and then though" he said. "You don't notice that, do you?"

"Not every time, no" I answered.

I stood up and walked towards the shelves to look for something interesting to buy. Wil followed and looked around.

"You know, you should stop looking too far away" he said and I looked at him for a bit before turning back to the books. "Maybe then you'll start noticing the bigger things around you."

I walked to where the bookmarks are and thought about what he just said.

"By bigger things you mean you, right?"

I didn't look at him; instead I started to choose some bookmarks to buy for my cousin's bride-to-be. A set of music-related bookmarks caught my attention and decided to buy it.

"Yes" he answered after a few minutes. "By something bigger, I meant me."

That's when I looked at him. His features don't reflect anger but it somehow showed relief—maybe because finally, I'm getting the idea. Well I do have an idea; I'm just not tolerating it too much.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" he asked when I kept on looking at him.

"I do notice you Wil" I said as I walked past him. "Just because I never took a second glance at you means that you or your feelings don't exist to me."

He waited for me to pay for the bookmarks I bought and followed me to their gift wrapping section. I can see that he already has some sort of comeback but he's waiting for the lady to finish the wrapping the box of bookmarks so we can leave and no one can hear what he has to say. I bet it's something argumentative that's why he's waiting.

Wil gave out a sigh of relief before walking to the door and opening it for me. I thanked him and waited for him before starting to walk.

"You know," he started and I braced myself for whatever his statement might be. "I don't get you women at times. When some guy breaks up with you, you go running to your friends—at times your guy friends—and cry to us. And after crying your eyes out and blabbering how everything was perfect and how you people were meant to be, and we go on saying something you should and need to hear, you'll say 'I wish I'll meet someone like you'. Like hello! You're saying, 'I wish I'll meet someone like you' and you already did! It's crazy you know. You girls keep on hoping for someone you need, yet you keep on looking for someone you want."

I was about to say something but then I stopped myself because I know he's just catching his breath and he still has something to say.

"Does it repulse you creatures when our species tries to step out of the friend zone? I mean, come on...we don't bite. Maybe us who are stuck in this zone can love you more than those who are in the more-than-friends zone. You get what I'm saying?"

I do not know how long he waited for to finally say this to me because it's obvious that he's been wanting to say this his whole life.

"I do get what you're saying. But let me ask you this," I said as we entered the mall where he'll get his suit. "Have you ever thought maybe the reason why we keep our friends at bay is because we're scared? That maybe we lost a very precious friendship we took care of for so long because someone stepped out of the friend zone? You see Wil, it's so awkward to try and even look someone in the eye when they used to be a great friend and then they became your ex. Some people tend to do it, but it will never change the fact that you both tried to make it into something more, but one or both of you decided you can't and you're better off as friends."

Wil looked at me and I knew that he knows where I'm getting at, but I need to remind him of where I'm coming from so I didn't hold back.

"I should know because Luke was once my best friend. We were best friends. But look at me now. I can't even look at him for five minutes and not hate him."

I was about to enter the shop where he's getting his suit from when he pulled me towards him and hugged me. I stood still and felt his chin as he rested it on my head. Tall guys and their idea that they can use our heads as resting-on things.—I thought.

"I'm sorry" I heard him say as I struggled a bit to breathe because my face was somewhat pressed to his chest.

"It's okay" I said as I softly pushed him away. "Now go get your suit."

I waited for him outside for a few minutes until he walked out with a huge paper bag in one hand.

"Have you heard from Faith?" I asked him as we walked out of the mall. "She hasn't returned my text messages."

"She's resting, she's got flu" he answered.

"How dare she" I grumbled and dialed her number.

"Yeah?" I heard her struggle to answer on the other end of the line.

"How dare you get sick?" I asked and Wil laughed beside me. "You know I need you."

"I'm sorry Alex; I didn't expect this to happen. I hate this flu more than you do."

"You can't leave me now" I whimpered a bit. "You know my current situation."

"I know. I got your text. Your brother will be there, I'm sure he won't leave you alone with just the two of them. Just give me a call if you need someone to talk to."

"Get well soon, okay?"

"I will" she said and hung up.

"I'll drive you home" Wil said as soon as I returned my phone in my bag. "It looks like it's going to rain and you don't have an umbrella."

"Okay" I said and got on his car. "My brother's going to pick me up tonight" I told him as he buckled in.

"Oh he is? What time?" he asked.

"Around eight, why?"

"I got a text from him telling me that I should go to your place so we only have to use his ride to get to the hotel. I had to know the time so I can get there on time."

Oh good, at least I have someone to talk to during the long ride.

"Oh and I think you should know," he said and it got me nervous. "Luke's going to ride with us."

Then it'll definitely be a long ride. Thank you for leaving me alone, Faith.