Dreaming Alone: Chapter Fourteen

"Oreos are screaming 'Ouch!'"

I suddenly stopped my hands and looked down at the bowl of crushed Oreos.

"So what's up?" asked Faith who was busy melting cream cheese.

Grabbing the softened butter, I shrugged. "Nothing"

"You were staring at oblivion, sister. What's wrong?"

I mixed the crushed Oreos and butter together and wondered if I should say something or not. It was just a dream, after all.

"Just say it" she rolled her eyes.

"I dreamt about Luke."

"It's just a dream" she shrugged.

"I know" I sighed. "But I dreamt about him for the fifth time now."

"Is it like the same dream all the time?" she asked and I shook my head.

"It's not like that—well, sort of, I think. I mean, it's always a different scenario but it's always about me telling him that I miss him. Then he asks me why I just told him now and I tell him because I can't say tell him before."

"And why can't you tell him?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Maybe you do miss him" she looked at me and I raised my brows at her while I pressed the crushed Oreos-butter mix on the pan.

"I guess I should know if I do."

"How would you if you're holding it back?" she asked and I handed the pan to Faith with my eyes wide.

"Tell me; are you really Team Wil or Team Luke?"

Shaking her head while laughing, she opened a pack of Oreos to decorate the Oreo cheesecake we're making.

"Team Alex" she smiled. "Seriously, you're like my sister from another mister and whatever will make you happy will make me happy."

I watched her as she decorated it before putting it in the fridge. I sat down by the counter and she followed suit.

"I hate Luke for leaving you—I do. I love Wil not just because he's like a brother to me. I know for a fact that you were happy when you and Luke were still together and I can also see that you're happy with Wil. There's something promising with you and Wil, it's not hard to see. Which leaves it to you—your feelings."

"I know" I looked outside and smiled inwardly because it's no longer raining.

"You don't have to be afraid to love again. Do not let your past stop you. If Luke told you that he misses you then so be it. Let him miss you because you won't be able to stop it. It doesn't mean that it should stop you from starting a new chapter with someone new. Nothing should stop you from being happy."

We heard Wil's footsteps at the porch and we both looked at the door before looking back at each other.

"Just go for it, Alex. Luke doesn't have a leash on you. So what if you're dreaming about him? We dream of random people all the time."

"You're right" I smiled.

"So what's up?" Wil asked as he closed the door behind him. "Girls' talk?"

I gave him some sort of a Martin Freeman nod and he smiled.

"So" he clapped his hands together before placing them in his pockets. "We'll have one last sleep over, picnic tomorrow and then good bye-for-now?"

Faith nodded quietly and I pursed my lips. The three of us are now standing in a small circle and it somehow felt nostalgic. There's one more missing person in our little circle of friendship but it's not bothering me at all.