Dreaming Alone: Chapter Twenty-five

"Wil" I breathed out in relief.

What was I thinking?

"How're things? I'm so sorry I didn't get to text you or tell you that I left earlier than expected. I was so occupied with work! I miss you a lot. How's Luke? Did you guys have a good time?"

Guilt deeply scratched the depths of my soul as I listened to his voice. I almost broke his trust!

I looked to my left to find Luke tapping his finger on the steering wheel.

"He's...still him" I answered. "We went out for ice cream and then he took me to our old school."

"That sounds cool! I wish I was there with you. I'm glad he knew how to cheer you up though."

"I wish you were here too" I mumbled.

I heard him give out a soft chuckle. "Did he try to win you back?"

I felt my jaw drop upon hearing his question and I swallowed. "You could say that" I admitted.

"I knew he'll try as soon as I saw the gleam in his eyes when I asked him to look out for you for me. I also have a feeling that you might get all confused because of how you felt for him before—I wouldn't blame you if you'll fall for him in any way. But I must admit that that would hurt me a lot."

I do not deserve this kind of honesty.

"When will you be back?" I asked and swallowed the lump that has formed in my throat. I honestly just want him back right now. With the confusion that Luke has caused, I need Wil to slap the clarity in me.

"I'm not sure, Alex. I wish I could fly back tonight but I can't. Just let Luke look after you. I'm not asking you not to let him try and win you back. I know that he'll be tempted but I also know that he'll try his best not to hurt you again by torturing you with confusion."

"How did I even deserve you?" I scoffed at myself and I heard him laugh a bit.

"I already have my eyes set on you Singleton—ever since we met. I love you and I'm willing to wait for you to love me too."

I smiled at what he said and the warmth it caused me.

I was about to say something when I heard someone speak faintly and my brows furrowed.

"Listen, I gotta go. Take care okay? I love you!"

"Wil—" I was cut off by him hanging up and I looked at the screen of my phone.

I bit my lower lip and placed my phone down on my lap.

"That happens when you're busy" Luke broke the silence and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Jerk" I muttered and unbuckled the seatbelt trapping me.

I couldn't wait to get off his car and end the torment of guilt I have building inside me. I heard Luke call after me as I walked back to my house and I only stopped when I reached the door.

"Hey" he said as he touched my arm. "I'm sorry about... whatever that was earlier."

I looked down before looking up to his eyes that begged for forgiveness.

"I'm sorry too" I said. "I just hope it won't happen again."

He took his hand back and nodded. "Right... It won't happen again."

"Good" I said as I turned to face the door and open it.

"Alex" he called my attention once again and I turned to face him. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"