Dreaming Alone: Chapter Thirty-one

"You okay?" Xander asked for the I-can-no-longer-remember time and I nodded.
"Are you sure?" he asked again and I removed my mask to roll my eyes at him.

"I'm fine Alexander" I groaned. "You can leave me here."

He patted my knee and smiled. "I'll try and make sure I'll see you immediately if you need me."

I made a little shooing motion with my hands and he hesitated before leaving me.

We've been here at Luke's party for almost two hours now and Wil's nowhere to be seen. He hasn't called or texted me. I even tried to email him but I didn't get any response from him. It's funny since it's like he blocked me or something—which I know he wouldn't do. Maybe it's just a glitch in the system.

I took my phone out of the hidden pocket of my blue dress once more to see if I got anything from him and frowned when I got nothing.

Is everything okay? I thought to myself.

I gingerly bit my lip before deciding to shoot him another text.

How are you? I haven't got anything from you. Is everything okay?

I hit sent and placed my phone back in the pocket, but not before I triple checked if my phone's on vibrate.

"Alex" I shot my head up as soon as I heard Luke's voice. Maybe he knows where he is.

"Luke" I released a deep breath as he sat beside me.

"What are you doing here all alone? I'm sorry I wasn't able to check on you, more people came than I expected."

Those were his first words since Wil came back and it made me smile because I missed hearing him talk to me.

"Happy birthday" I chirped, realizing that I haven't had the chance to greet him yet.

"Thanks" he smiled. "I've been waiting to hear that since midnight."

I smiled back at him, remembering how I'd always wait for midnight so I can greet him first before everyone.

"So where's Wil?" he asked after looking around and removing his mask.
"This thing's annoying" he muttered to himself.

"I was hoping you'd know" I furrowed my brows and he did the same.

"Well I thought he found you by now. He came about twenty minutes ago and I told him where you and your brother are."

He's already here? Why didn't he tell me?

"Hey," Luke rubbed my shoulder. "Are you okay? Anything bothering you?"

I pondered if I should tell Luke what's bothering me. Should I tell him that there's something nagging at the back of my head that Wil might be doing something awful behind my back? I know that he's my best friend but should I trust him with this?

They say you shouldn't tell your relationship problems to the members of the opposite sex, especially if that person has some sort of interest in you.

"You know you can tell me anything, right? I won't even judge."

I shook my head and chuckled at my silly thoughts. "It's probably nothing."

Luke suddenly gave me this look that he knows something he doesn't want to tell me.

"Where was he when you last saw him?" I asked, instead of asking what he knows.

He looked down at the floor before looking at the crowd dancing and socializing in front of us. There's something in his eyes that registered pain but I couldn't really see it clearly if he's in pain because of me or because of something else.