Chapter 24

Lydia's POV

Harry kept running through my mind.

It's like he just plagued my mind with random question. Like 'where is he? Is he alright? When will I see him again?'

Teenage love taken to the next level? I'm not quite sure actually.

Douglas had left me alone after we shook hands, his old hair the only thing I saw left of him before he disappeared from sight. What would he do?

I didn't, I was finally back on land after awhile.

And today was my birthday. Yes, that magical day on June 23, my day.

I looked around and didn't see anything on the beach that was familiar. Everything was all strange. The houses, the beach, the town. I didn't know this area very well except well...Douglas' docks were here.

I get up and slowly take a few steps towards the wooden floating docks that held together his old boats. Why did he keep them? Was there some weird purpose?

"What do you want now?!" a gruff voice calls. I turn towards it and look around seeing nothing once more. "I'm up here."

I look up as the voice tells me and I see Douglas on the balcony of his shack. It looked ready to fall apart but this man was old and frail, he couldn't be more than 100 pounds!

"I need to use a phone!" I call up to him, shielding my eyes from the sun. "I don't know where I am!"

"You're a real needy girl." He grumbles walking away from the balcony rudely.

"Hey!" I call in an annoyed voice "Come back!" I jump to see if I could see into his shack. "Rude." I grumble under my breath. I turn around and look at the sun high up in the sky. It was all bright and all free up there, it was untouchable. I wish I were untouchable. Untouchable from this cruel world of people trying to expose me, from people trying to destroy people's lives like Harry's and Ryan's.

Untouchable. That's what I wanted to be.

"Hey! I thought you wanted a phone!" a voice yells and I turn around.

Douglas stood on the ground floor and I breathed a sigh of relief. He was holding a landline phone and the wire connecting it to the house was all curly. I smile lightly to myself and run over to him, taking the phone as I follow the curly line to the wall where it was attached. I breathed a sigh of relief against to hear it still working when I press it to my ear. I dial Ryan's number and wait for his familiar deep voice to answer.

"Hello-"

"Oh my god, Ryan I am-"

"-you've reached Ryan's Carter's phone. I'm not here right now so leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible." And the line went dead.

Oh no.

I dialed again, "Hello you've reached-"

I hung up.

I dialed once again, "Hello you've-"

Why wasn't he answering?!

I tried once more, "Hello-"

I ended the call and let out a low growl. I banged the phone on my head trying to think of another number. I was coming up with only Ryan, Harry and my mother's phone number.

Harry. Thank the god up there.

I dialed his number and I felt exhausted tears prickle my eyes. I was so done with swimming. I had seen what the ocean held, all its beautiful and not so beautiful creatures. All the underwater plant life, the sand, the coral. I loved it all, but at the same time I feared it. It was after all my first time in the ocean.

"Hello?" I heard Zayn's familiar voice answer.

"Zayn!" I let out a relieved laugh as I hear other voice on the other end in the background. Was Harry safe on land or was he on the ship still?

"Lydia?" Zayn's voice says. "What's wrong?"

"Where's Harry?"

"We don't know, he disappeared on us a few nights ago. Do you-" I had to cut him off.

"Zayn I'm lost and I need to get back home."

Silence.

"Where are you?" Niall's voice asks.

"Where did you come from?" I question with a raised eyebrow.

"You're on speakerphone. When you mentioned Harry I thought you must've had news or something." I hear Zayn's quiet and nervous voice say.

"It's alright. guys, I'm by Douglas' and I don't know how to get back. Can someone-"

"Why were you there?!" Louis jumps in.

"Are you hurt?" Liam asks.

"Did he do anything to you?" Niall adds.

"No, but listen. I made a deal with him and everything is alright."

"Lydia, get away from him." Liam tells me.

"He's not safe." Louis says.

"He's fine, stop it!" I say hurt by their words. "Someone pick me up please." I hang up on them.

I hang the phone back up and look around. Douglas wasn't anywhere in sight, and it made me a little nervous. I walk around, away from the door, and look deeper into the house. I might as well thank him for helping me and agreeing to this weird deal.

I walk around his shack of a house, seeing dozens beyond dozens of paper clippings, online articles and countless other things relating back to mermaids and sightings. Wow, he was really into it. My hand skims the wall and I don't even realize that I push light on a door until it open from behind a mural of a mermaid on a rock with a sailor drowning in the water. Creepy.

I walk into the dark room not seeing anything from the lack of light. No window was in sight and if there was one, it must've been covered in more pictures or something. I feel along the wall until I feel a switch, and I flick it on.

I wait a moment and then a florescent light flickers on, not holding power and then sticks for a few seconds. I gasp as I look around the room -I stood in the center- and see crazy things.

Mermaid scales.

Old wooden and coral beads.

I turn and see a lab table with tubes, more needles and shots. My heart was speeding up and I felt too big in this room. I felt like I was gasping. Pictures of real mermaids were along the table and knives and creepy things in glass jars were exposed.

I heard the floor boards crack and I spin around seeing an angry Douglas standing in the door way.

"Stay out of here!" he pulls me by the arm and drags me out of the room, slamming the door shut behind us. "You shouldn't have been snooping!"

"I was looking for you!" I say scared of the things this man could do. I already saw evidence of things he did. I didn't want to be another victim. "I swear!"

"You liar!" he spits as he pushes me towards the front of his shack on the road side. "You're just like all the others!"

"Douglas, I was trying to say thank you!" tears stained and flowed down my face quickly. Was I going to die?

"LIES!!" his voice booms and I feel like crumpling towards the floor. He opens the door and my tear filled eyes burn when the sun's rays bounce into them. He shoves me out the door and I fall onto the sidewalk crying and sobbing. I push myself off the ground and break into a blurry eyed run.

I didn't know where I was going, I just couldn't stop.

I stopped running when I heard a car honk. I looked around and rubbed my eyes. I felt arms wrap around me and I pushed away from them, stopping when I heard a familiar voice speak.

"Lydia, it's alright. It's me." Niall's voice muffles in my hair as he holds me. I look up and see his blue eyes and blonde hair through my messed up vision. I hug him tightly and he lifts me up. I feel nothing under me until I'm set down in a car, a very familiar car.

"Hi," Louis' voice rings. I look up at him, my face and eyes mostly dry now from my constant wiping. Louis winced when I looked up at him. I knew he was wincing from my red eyes. I was obviously crying.

"I'm fine." I say quickly turning to look out the window. I sat in the back seat as Niall drove the car, just Louis and I sitting in the back. "Thank you Niall and Louis," I whisper.

"It's aright love." Louis pulls me to him and I hug him tightly.

"Why were you there?" Niall asks as he takes a turn onto our road.

"It's complicated."

"Did he kidnap you?" Louis questions.

"No, I was there on my own."

"Why?" Niall asks.

"It's complicated!" I snap.

The car got uneasily quiet. Damn, I'm an awful person.

"Where's Harry?" my voice cracks on his name and I clear my throat in embarrassment.

"We don't know."

"What?" I ask as my heart drops. "Didn't he come back?"

"No... he did call. He wanted me to run to Ryan's. Something about it being urgent."

"Oh." I whisper looking down at my lap. Ryan would know something, he must've talked about where Harry was, right?

Soon we arrive at Ryan's and I smile seeing the familiar place I'd seen in countless magazines and newspapers before. This place was famous, I knew what it looked like from every angle.

"Thanks for everything guys. I wouldn't know what to do without you two." I smile at them. I give each of them a tight hug then slip out of the car. Suddenly I feel too naked in the bikini top and swim shorts, clothes I was so used to before.

"You're welcome!" Niall calls out the window.

"If you need anything call us. You have all of our numbers in your phone."

"I forgot my phone at your house a few nights ago." I say.

"We'll bring it over later, okay?" Louis asks and I nod. I wave as they pull out of the driveway.

I run up the grass and to the door. It was locked and when I rang the doorbell I was surprised to see who was there.

Morgan, the girl from the restaurant stood there in only a boy's dress shirt.

I widen my eyes and don't do anything until I snap inside. She lied to me, she lied to Ryan, and she lied to everyone. She tore me apart from saying that her and Harry had a thing. She almost destroyed every last ounce I had of respect for Harry.

I'm not saying I advise you to do this, but I was proud of my next action.

I slap her across the face with all the strength I had in my body and I didn't hold anything anger or pain back.

I smiled walking passed her falling to the ground figure and I kick the door shut with the back of my heel. I walk passed her and look around the open living room, Chace sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Chace!" I call in happiness. I had never been so happy to see his cocky face before in my life. His head turns to me and a grin spreads on his face. He gets up off the couch and I meet him in a hug. I was over joyed to see a familiar face.

"Where did you run off to?" he asks pulling away from my hug. A joking skeptical look crosses his face, "Is this the walk of shame?"

"What?" I laugh. "Of course not."

"You bitch!" I hear and I freeze. Damn, I forgot about her. I turn towards her and I gasp when I see her running towards me. When she gets close enough I brace myself for impact but Chace's hand goes out and she runs into it. "Let me at her!"

"Why are you here Morgan?!" Chace's voice booms and I become frightened a bit.

"I...I..." she glares at me and I smirk to myself seeing me hand's imprint take up the whole left side of her face, a deep bruise starting.

"Did you break in again?" Chace asks. His face gives it away that this obviously isn't the first and it probably won't be the last. He looks so relaxed and a bit annoyed by this. He's talking like he's scolding a child.

"Well-"

"That's sad." I mutter and she glares at me. "You just love jumping from guy to guy don't you?"

"You're the slut here!" Morgan's hands go to her hips.

"Hey, watch your mouth!" Chace defends me.

"How am I a slut?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"Oh please! You're bouncing from Ryan to Chace to Harry!"

I laugh at this. I actually laugh.

This girl was so delusional she was making me dizzy.

"Why are you laughing?" she asks annoyed and I clear my throat to talk.

"I was never into Ryan for starters, he's my older brother. Two, Chace is like my new big brother, we will never be anything." I give him a look and he nods in agreement. "Three, Harry says he never liked you and he never would want you."

Okay I know I made up the last part, I just needed a third reason.

Morgan bursts into tears and she runs out of the house still in the shirt and nothing else I bet. I can hear her fowl cries slowly fade away to nothing.

"She's crazy." Chace says from over my shoulder.

"Trust me, I know." I roll my eyes.

"I bet you do." Chace winks. "Good job standing up for yourself. I've never seen you do that."

"Thanks." I shyly smile. "Where's Ryan?"

"He's-" but he's cut off. Chace and I both look over to the entry way, the door not in sight. "I bet that's him." Chace says.

I smile and I run away from him to the entry way and I stop. The person standing there wasn't someone I wanted to see today. My birthday was officially ruined.

"Mom?"

*****

Hello Mother, welcome back to the story ;D

What's her mother doing here? What will she do?

Where's Harry?

How'd you find Douglas?

And what about Morgan? What will she do?

Find out in chapter 25:

Votes: 100?

Comments: 50?

I LOVE YOU ALL MY LOVELY LOVES!!