32. Birthday Fools

~Ethen's P.O.V~

Things shouldn't have turned out this way.

This wasn't supposed to happen.

What am I supposed to tell Lexi?

Why does this keep happening to me?

*9 hours ago*

Bleap!

I got a notification on my phone that woke me up.

I pulled myself up and grabbed my phone and checked the message. It was a notification on Facebook saying that it's Lexi's birthday today.

I wished her a happy birthday, checked the time and grabbed my stuff for school.

I didn't bother getting breakfast because I'm just too lazy and tired today.

I went into the living room to grab my bookbag when my mom was sitting on the couch looking at me.

I stopped what I was doing and walked over to her and sat down next to her.

She followed me with her eyes.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I asked after she didn't say anything, plus she had this look on her face that said 'worry'.

"I'm not gonna beat around the bush, I'm just gonna come out and say it," she took a breath, "Were loosing the house. "

I looked at her blankly, "your kidding right?"

"No, why would I joke about stuff like that?"

"Because it's April fools day."

"Oh ya, forgot about that."

"Mom, are we really loosing the house?"

She nodded. "I couldn't keep up with the bills, I was too late on the payments. I'm sorry honey." She placed a hand on my shoulder.

I agressivly moved her hand off of my shoulder. "Don't give me that crap! We both know that you didn't pay the bills because you were too busy spending it on beer or some pimp."

She didn't say anything, just looked at me. Her eyes started to glisten.

I grabbed my bag and ran out of the house. Slamming the door behind me.

I gritted my teeth and got in my truck and speed to school.

***

"Hey man, what's up?" Jesse asked me.

"Nothing."

"Okay."

"How you doing?" I asked.

"Not so great, but the nurse said that I'll be fine. I just have to avoid any stress. You know, like anything that can cause me to loose anyone else."

I nodded my head, not wanting to tell him about my home life. He doesn't need to hear about that.

"Hey guys!" A very chipper Lexi hopped up to us. She grabbed my shoulder and stood up on her tippy toes for a kiss. I leaned down and returned it.

"Happy birthday babe." I smiled.

"Today's your birthday?" Jesse asked, smiling.

She smiled and nodded really fast.

My guess is sugar high.

"Ha, your a joke!" Jesse yelled.

Lexi stopped smiling. "What?"

"Get it, you were born on April fools day?"

She looked down, her eyes started to tear up.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. Are you okay. I didn't mean that." Jesse slurred.