17. New Enemies

~Ethen's POV~

"What?!" I yelled into the phone.

"I said that she is in the hospital, and can you bring the guys?" Malory replied with a rather snippy tone.

"Why is she in the hospital?" I ignored her other comment about the guys.

"She hurt her bad ankle while riding Buttercup." She said impatiently. "Just hurry up and get here. I'll explain later."

She hung up the phone before I could say anymore.

"Uh!" I threw my phone against the wall. It was my fault that she hurt her ankle in the first place. I blew out air from my cheeks and grabbed my now cracked phone.

I dialed Jesse's number and he answered after three rings. "Hey man, what's up?"

"Hospital now, Lexi's hurt." I didn't wait for a response, I just hung up and started driving to the hospital.

When I got there I talked to the lady at the front desk and asked where Lexi Jacobs was, and she gave me a room number.

I walked in the door and found Lexi lying on a bed sleeping. When I opened the door more there was Malory sitting on the bed next to her. She looked at me and stood up. There was a well built guy sitting in the chair by Lexi's bed.

"Took you long enough." Malory exclaimed wrapping her arms around my shoulders. I returned the gesture.

"How is she doing?" I asked walking in the room. Lexi's face was pale.

"Okay, but she hurt her ankle really bad. My dad brought her here." She sat down on the bed again.

"How did she hurt it?" I noticed how the other guy in the room was deadly silent.

"She got her foot stuck on my horses saddle and spooked it, and the horse ran off with Lexi being dragged with it. Which made it worse." She looked at Lexi's pale face.

"Is she in a coma?" I couldn't help but ask. I can't tell if she was in a coma, or if she was sleeping.

"No. She is just sleeping." Malory replied quickly.

"Who are you?" I gestured over to the the guy sitting in the chair.

"Max. Who are you?" He sat up. I got a clear visual of his face. He had short dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. Honestly he seemed scary.

"George. Why are you here? How do you know her?" I give away fake names when I know I can't trust them. And Max gave me that tight knot in the gut. And it wasn't one of those butterflies-in-your-stomach-knot.

"Friend." He thought over his words carefully. "How do you know her?"

"Friend." I answered. It was quiet and awkward until the guys came.

"Hey. What happened." Jesse barged in the room with Austin right behind him. It startled me and I jumped up from resting on the counter and giving Max evil stares.

"Chil bro, its just her ankle." I reassured him.

Austin relaxed his shoulders and let out a breath of relief. "Well you really didn't give us much information on what was happening. All you said was that she was in the hospital and we should come here." Austin answered.

"Sorry man. Malory didn't really give me much information on what was happening either." I turned my glance at Malory and she smiled innocently.

A throat cleared and we all turned to look at Max. He was hovering over Lexi and looking at us. "Who are you?" Jesse asked.

"Max. Any other fake names you wanna give me?" He knows too much. I don't like him already. I gave him another death glare.