The Thief's Revenge - Ch 34 [questions]

Chapter Thirty-Four

Questions

_______________________

Sausages, bacon, eggs and toast. Pancakes, waffles and croissants. Several types of juice; apple, orange, pineapple, berry, mango. Real coffee made with finely grinded beans. So many aromas filled the dining room, making my mouth water.

"Maybe you could change my mind about marrying you," I said drily as I drooled over the breakfast banquet.

Luke, who was sitting like a king at the head of the table, grinned and tilted his chair back onto two legs. "I knew I could make you come around. What was it about me? My stunning looks? My alluring aura?"

I rolled my eyes and took the seat to his right. "Your cook."

He chuckled. "Ah, so maybe you could marry him instead." He sniffed and turned his head away. "I suppose I could let you go into the arms of another man, even if I only got one date."

I ignored him, piling my plate up with food. It seemed like I hadn't eaten in weeks.

"So," I said as I poured syrup onto my pancakes, "what's going on with this LASER 'break-in'?"

He leant forward, placing all four chair legs back on the ground, and rested his elbows on the table. "Ah, so it's business talk now, aye?"

I sighed impatiently. "I'm surprised that YOU didn't bring it up earlier. Have you scoped it all out, received security patterns, and gathered allies within the building?" It had been a while since I'd done a theft. I was definitely rusty and needed all the help I could get. Especially considering the type of place I was breaking in to.

"How do I put this...? I don't think that I'm absolutely capable of breaking into a government building, let alone a military headquarters. That place will have the best security in the country. And I can't use magic, like I pretty much relied on in the past, there are a lot of witches in LASER, I can't fool them."

What if I come across another Liam or Dan, I thought to myself. My attempts at fooling them with magic had been a fail... wait a minute. What if I actually did run into Liam or Dan? "This idea is developing more and more holes as I consider it."

Luke scratched his chin, his golden eyes on the tablecloth. Then he looked up, his expression determined. "Kayli... Can you trust me?"

I raised my brows at his sudden question, then closed my eyes and rested my forehead onto my hand. Luke, the guy I knew nothing about... "I don't think I can," I said honestly.

His hand slapped down on the table. "Goddamn! How can I get you to trust me? I'll do anything!"

I was taken aback by his outburst. He must be really desperate for this. But the pressure he was putting on me, that Fletch was putting on me. Even the anxiety of knowing that Liam was pursuing was pushing against the thin control I had on my temper.

"Oh, I'm sorry for not trusting someone that I met a little more than a week ago." I spoke in a low voice, hopefully warning him not to push me any further. "Not that I trust easily anyway. Can't you find someone else to do this? Someone with a little less of a connection to LASER?"

He scrunched the tablecloth beneath his hand into his fist. "There is no one. No one that I can trust. See, I trust you! Can't you reciprocate?"

"What the hell?" I stood up, pushing my chair back. "Since when do you trust me? I still don't understand why you chose me for this in the first place! You. Don't. Know. Me!" I turned around and shoved the chair out of my way. It fell with a crack. I was about to yank open the door when it opened itself. Fletch stepped in.