The Thief's Revenge *EXTRA* - Liam's POV [excerpt ch 26]

Chapter Twenty-Six

It Doesn't Really Matter [Liam's Point of View]

________________________

I watched her as she closed her eyes, her long lashes fluttering. My hand, stretched to reach her face, found her cheek cold. I wanted to put my hands on both sides of her face and kiss the warmth, and the happiness, back into her. Why wouldn't she speak?

"Kayli."

She kept her eyes shut, ignoring me. Why couldn't she tell me what had happened? If someone had hurt her... My free hand clenched into a fist. They would find themselves in a painful predicament. I would pulverise anyone that touched her.

But what if it was too hard for her to say? I stepped closer, my feet whispering against the floor. I wanted to just hold her, cradle her in my arms but I could guess that she had an aversion to being coddled.

"Can you tell me?" I asked. If she couldn't then I would call for James. He would have no problem telling me if she had been hurt. The two of them had built an amazing bond over their short acquaintance. A simple trust. I felt jealousy boil under my skin. I wanted that bond with her; I wanted her to look at me and for me to not see the look of confusion or wariness in her eyes.

Still she was silent. Whoever had done this to her would pay a million times over.

"Please?" I pleaded one last time. I wanted to hear this from her, not from my brother. I wanted to be trusted enough by her. I brushed my thumb over her soft cheek, pleading with my mind for her to at least open her eyes. She didn't and kept quiet. I took my hand away, defeated.

I turned to the door and ran a hand through my hair. There was no other choice, I had to find out what had happened and the only way to do that would be to call my brother, the seer and her confidant.

"JAMES!" I called out. I automatically sent my senses out to see how far away he was. He was outside, most likely meditating again. I didn't have to worry about him hearing me, he would hear my soul calling for his presence.

"No, I'll tell you," Kayli suddenly said, frantically. I turned to look at her and saw calculation in her eyes. I knew that look. She was going to omit certain things from her explanation. I felt as if someone was squeezing my heart. Why couldn't she just tell me the full story?

"Now you'll tell me? Tell me the truth now, Hunter. Will you leave anything out?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

She closed her eyes again, tightly, and that spoke to me in volumes. She wasn't going to tell me. Fury flowed through my veins, a hot licking flame. All I wanted was trust! Why couldn't she trust me?!

I was now desperate to know what had happened. It must have been something big if she was being so stubbornly silent.

"I guess you would, by your silence," I said miserably. "Did you do something against the rules and get caught? Did someone threaten you?"

The door swung open and she opened her eyes as James entered. Envy rose again as I saw a flicker of relief in her eyes. Out of the corner of my sight I could see James glowering at me. I fought the urge to glare back, or to tell him to get lost. I had to keep my temper under wraps in order to find out what had happened. Then my brother slipped his arms around her waist. My fingers twitched, wanting to curl into fists. I wanted my arms in place of his. More than that. I wanted her love for him to be mine.

"Calm down, Liam," James said, eyes narrowed in my direction. I knew he could tell what I was feeling. "She's had a crap day and you're not making it any easier by yelling at her."

I saw a glimmer of annoyance flash cross her face. She probably didn't like hearing James say that she couldn't handle my yelling. Another reason I admired her; she didn't need someone else to protect her. And yet I still wanted to keep her safe, away from anything that could harm her. Like whatever had happened at school today. I had to know. Now.

"Tell me what happened to her today." I kept still, my eyes on her. If she even hinted at feeling hurt, frightened or sad I would tell James to talk privately with me. I didn't want her having to go over anything painful twice.

James placed his hands into his pockets, a move I knew he did only when he was agitated. He glanced at Kayli, who shrugged, giving him the go-ahead. Then he looked at me, his wide, emotion and knowledge filled eyes showing nothing but honesty. I braced myself for his answer.

"During lunch today at school, Kayli was sexually harassed by a teacher."

My mind blanked for a moment, I was unable to think, and then cold darkness seeped into my bloodstream. I'd never felt so angry, and yet at the same time I felt absolute concern for Kayli. If this person had hurt her in any way... I needed to ask so many questions, needed so much more information. But in the end all I could say was one word.

"Who?" I managed to speak, only just.

James glanced at Kayli again, as if expecting her to answer but her eyes, those brilliant jade jewels, were locked on me. I hated the slight fear I saw in them.

"Sergeant Fielding."

The name etched itself in my mind, I would never forget it. This sergeant was a dead man. I nodded curtly, thanking my brother and giving him the signal that I'd gotten enough information from him. He left quickly, attempting to comfort me by patting my shoulder on the way out. I would need a lot more than that to calm me. I needed her.

I looked at the floor for a moment, trying to slow my breathing but the name echoed in my head. If I didn't touch her, hold her now I would break apart. I glanced at her face, her eyes warily looking into mine. I lunged forward, unable to stop myself, and pulled her into my arms, holding her tightly. I never wanted to let go.

She was trembling, small shivers that made me hold her even tighter, wanting them to cease. I lowered my lips to her forehead. Once again the name flashed through my mind. I needed to know exactly what he had done to her.

"What did he do?" I tried to keep my voice calm and controlled but my anger and worry made it uneven. Her answer would determine how hard the sergeant would hurt. She took a deep breath.

"I missed detention yesterday," she said slowly, then paused as if waiting for me to say something. I didn't care, I couldn't care. All I wanted was to find out what the bastard had done.

She continued, her voice soft, "So during lunch today, Fielding confronted me and told me to accompany him for my detention. He took me to an unused classroom and he..." I held her tighter to remind myself that she was here, and that she was okay. She paused again and I let her take a breath.

"He kissed me."

My vision went red.

She carried on speaking, unaware that my temper had just been fully unleashed, like a hungry lion from its cage. "And I was in shock for a bit and then -" she shook suddenly, as if revolted. "And then he moaned and I used my magic to fling him into the wall. Then I ran off... He was unconscious... and I..." She trailed off, her breathing short and stilted. I held her for a moment longer, desperately trying to calm myself. I needed to support her now, not go on a rampage.

"He kissed you." I was unable to get past this point. I wanted to turn back time and tear her from the school before any of this could have happened.

"Yes," she said softly.

"He put his mouth on yours?"

She nodded and looked up at me. I quickly straightened my face. I wouldn't show her the animal that was fighting to get out, to claw something.

"Excuse me for a moment?"