The Thief's Revenge - Ch 32 [not alone]

Chapter Thirty-Two

Not Alone

___________________

I got a few weird looks as I fled from the airport, though hopefully no one was too curious or pitying as to follow me. I had to get out of here, fast. It was only upon leaving the airport that I realised I had nowhere to go. Damn Fletch! All he'd left me with was the words 'I'll find you'. Idiot. He would probably find me in the gutter somewhere, half-dead. I couldn't go back to the motel, to Tony. Liam would definitely consider that. Argh! I walked through the car park, feeling a sense of déjà vu as cars drove past me. Ugh! Why couldn't I be a normal eighteen year old girl?! Why couldn't my parents have been teachers? Or doctors?

'But then you wouldn't have met Liam,' a voice nagged from the back of my mind. I sat at a bus stop that was just outside the airport.

But if I hadn't met him, then I wouldn't have had to leave him, I argued back. Then sighed in defeat. If I had the choice, I would do it all again. And besides, when all this was over, I would simply go find him again. Unless he found me first. I gulped nervously. I had a feeling that if he found me it wouldn't be a pleasant reunion. The look in his eyes when he had warned me that he would catch me had given me the impression that he wouldn't be calm and relieved when he found me. More likely, he'd be furious and possessive. I placed my head in my hands. Why was I thinking about this now? I should be thinking about where I'm going.

But I can't get Liam out of my head.

'...when I catch you, Miss Hunter, you won't get another chance to run away.'

Tears pressed against my eyes. Hurry up and find me, Liam.

The night air was cold, the wind biting at my bare shoulders. I was an idiot, I should've remembered that the weather here was different to Australia. I lifted my head as a bus pulled over to the curb, rolling to a stop in front of me. Its doors opened and an elderly lady stepped out, taking her time getting down the big step. She squinted at me, her look giving me the impression that she was trying to determine if I would mug her or not.

"Are you getting on?" called the driver. He was a short, balding man. Someone who looked like he had grown up living a dull life. I was slightly jealous. At least he would've been mostly comfortable.

I checked my pockets for coins. If I could take the bus into the city there'd be more of a chance for me to run into Fletch. He had found me last time I had hit the Dublin clubs. I pulled out two things. The text message receiver and the tele-wire that James had given me. I'd forgotten that I'd had it.

"Erm, Miss?" The driver glared at me impatiently. I narrowed my eyes back. What was his problem, all he did was drive around all day and he was getting angry because it was taking me more than a few seconds to get on. He needed to learn how much he should really care for such a small situation. How would he feel if he was on the run from an elite military organisation? Did he know what is was like to leave behind the person you loved most?

The doors hissed shut, the driver obviously taking my silent glowering as a no. The bus chugged off, leaving me with a foul mood. I blinked at the wire in my hands. Had James known that I would need this? He could have warned me!

... I owed that guy a lot. I couldn't even muster up the energy to be mad at him.

I linked the wire up to my ear and heard the demand for a telephone number.

"Fletcher's number, please," I requested.

'Dialling'

'Dialling'

What if he didn't answer? What would I do then? Ugh! I hated this feeling! Like I was some kind of vulnerable lost child.

'Dialling'