The Thief's Revenge - Ch 26 [it does really matter]

Chapter Twenty-Six

It Does Really Matter

________________________

"Kayli."

I stubbornly kept my eyes closed, concentrating on the warmth that his hand exuded on my cheek rather than the coldness of his voice. He wasn't angry at me, I knew that. Well, maybe a small amount of ferocity was due to the fact that I hadn't told him about what happened in school. But the rest was targeted at the person who had upset me.

But even though I knew this I still felt shaken up when he directed his angry eyes at me. That's why I had closed mine.

"Can you tell me?"

I hadn't heard him move, or felt the hand on my cheek falter, but as he spoke I felt his breath fan over my face. Mmm, minty. He must have moved closer.

I wanted to tell him, I really did, but I kept over thinking it. Telling him would mean, I had no doubt, that he would go after my harasser. I knew nothing about Jacob, his fighting talent, his strength, he could be stronger than Liam, I didn't know. But I did know two things. Jacob Fielding was a sergeant, a few ranks lower than Liam's own Prime-Lieutenant stance, but in the military all the same. He could report Liam to his senior officers if a fight occurred. And he knew I was a thief and was able to tell Liam this at any time. This could absolutely dissolve any feelings Liam had for me. I hunched my shoulders, frustrated that I was caught by blackmail.

"Please?" His thumb brushed my cheek softly, a feather-light touch that made me light-headed. He drew his hand away, the warmth and the tingling feeling remaining.

I could tell him. I had to tell him. I opened my eyes. He was facing the door.

"JAMES!" he called out.

"No, I'll tell you," I said frantically. If I told him then I would be able to hold back information, like the reason why I was being blackmailed. He might find out later anyway but we were leaving for Australia tomorrow evening. He wouldn't be able to get to Jacob before then, surely.

"Now you'll tell me? Tell me the truth now, Hunter. Will you leave anything out?"

I squeezed my eyes shut again. Why did he always have to think ahead? I peeked through my lashes and saw his expression change from enquiring to furious once more. This time I was sure that much more of his rage was directed at me.

"I guess you would, by your silence. Did you do something against the rules and get caught? Did someone threaten you?"

The door swung open and I lifted my lids fully as James walked in, looking menacingly at Liam. Then he turned to me and sympathy crossed his features. He walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me, turning to glare at Liam.

"Calm down, Liam. She's had a crap day and you're not making it any easier by yelling at her."

As much as I loved James for sticking up for me, I felt a little irked that he hadn't let me do it myself. I needed to feel something other than disgust and fright at the sick memory of Jacob's touch. I wanted to get angry. But he patted my back and rubbed my arm soothingly, not allowing my temper to spark.

Liam was unaffected by the words of his wise brother. "Tell me what happened to her today." He looked like he could've been made of stone as he stood there rigidly, staring at me alone.

James dropped his arms, shoving his hands into his pockets, and glanced at me worriedly. I shrugged. Maybe it would be easier for me if he just said it.

"During lunch today at school, Kayli was sexually harassed by a teacher."

Liam didn't move, not an inch, but he transformed. His eyes hardened, his face grew dark and menacing and his muscles bulged as he tensed.