The Thief's Revenge - Ch 10 [not mutants]

Chapter Ten

Not mutants

______________

The witch was studying me with her dark brown eyes, judging my reaction. She seemed confused when I smiled at her brightly.

"So, you're a mutant then?" I asked excitedly.

She shook her head. "No. I was born and raised here in Dublin. I'm a natural witch, you know, with spells and candles."

"Really?" I said dubiously. "Do they really work?"

She smirked. "Of course they do. If they didn't then I wouldn't be calling myself a witch."

"Huh. That's cool. Do you reckon I could learn some spells and stuff?" I wondered if my power could be channelled into a spell. That would widen my abilities to protect myself... Maybe I could learn how to block Donovan from my mind.

"Are you interested? Our group, coven, is having a meeting tonight. New members are forever welcome. I'm Caitlin, or just Cate, and I'm the leader of the young coven members."

"Erm... I'm Tracey. I'd like to check it out."

She beamed and scribbled something down on her notepad before ripping it out. "Here's the address. Don't worry about bringing anything; I'll have the stuff you need. Just be there at eight tonight."

"Great." I felt like I'd just zoned out for the past few minutes. I'd just met a witch and was joining a coven? What was I thinking?

** **

The school hours passed painfully slow, I'd never been so bored in my life. The teachers had all been excited to have me in their classes and kept asking me too many tiresome questions, ones I had to make up answers for.

I left the school grounds at the end of the day, saying goodbye to Cate, who shared the last class with me, Information, Communication and Technology (ICT), fully intending to walk home. But as I made my way back, a car pulled up next to me, the horn tooting once. The passenger door clicked open to reveal a grinning Donovan.

"What is it with people getting cars so quickly?" I muttered out loud.

"Want to go get some coffee?" he called out, waving me into the car.

"Sure, why not," I answered and hopped in.

We stopped at a Starbucks that was nearby, ordered two caramel macchiatos, and sat in two of the comfy chairs down the back.

"So... do you think you're ready to talk?" he said with a smirk.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "About what?"

He rolled his eyes. "About us."

"Look, Donovan," I said, frustrated, "There's no us, okay? I can't trust you. I don't even know why you're so interested in me. It kind of came out of nowhere. I don't know anything about you."

"Well... I was born in Florida. My parents have been imprisoned by LASER under false circumstances..."

"No! I don't mean it in that way. I mean I don't know your personality."

"And you can find out more about that by spending more time with me."

"Yeah, as a friend," I argued.

His jaw muscle tensed and he spoke through clenched teeth. "Fine. As friends. For now."

Geez! Do you have to make it a threat?! I thought at him.

He stared at me, his eyes flashing with temper. "We're perfect for each other. Both of our parents got screwed over by LASER and we're both trying to fight back. Or are you trying to tell me that there's someone else?"

I quickly shut off my mind and shot up out of the chair. "I can't be bothered arguing with you anymore. I'll walk home."

I quickly strode outside and only when I was a block away did I let my mind relax. Liam's image floated into my mind. For some reason, even though he had tried to take me into LASER, I couldn't get him out of my head. I was stupidly attracted to him and I couldn't help it. It was something that could only produce dire circumstances.

** **

At eight pm that night I arrived at the address of the house that was on the slip of paper. Fletch dropped me off. He seemed pleased that I'd found a group of people who would accept rather than reject me for my magical mutation.

"Give me a call when you want me to come and pick you up," he said as I got out of the car.

"Yes dad," I said sweetly, grinning as he slammed my door shut behind me. As he sped off I studied the house behind me. It was big, almost as big as the old house Liam had bought in Cornwall. There were two stories and plenty of large windows. I walked up the front step and rang the doorbell. The sound echoed as if the house was empty. But the front door opened and a boy with grassy-green eyes smiled up at me from behind it.

"Are you Tracey?" he asked, his voice surprisingly clear and mature sounding.

"Yeah."

He stood back, giving me room to enter. "We're all in the living room. Cate said you'd be here soon."

I raised my eyebrow as he took my hand, leading me to the room. His face looked about thirteen but he was tall, by far taller than me, and his hand was firm in its grip of mine.

The room was full of teenagers. Some I recognised from school but most were absolute strangers. I felt uncomfortable as they all stared at me.

"Hey! Tracey!" Cate waved and patted the floor next to her. "We were just about to get started."

Get started? Was this such a formal meeting? I watched as Cate lit the candle in front of her. The boy who'd opened the door for me tugged me along beside him until we were both sitting next to Cate. He didn't let go of my hand.

"Goddess, keep us safe in our domain this night and keep our spells from harming others. As is your will, so mote it be."

"So mote it be," repeated the group. I looked around in confusion. Had I unwittingly joined a cult?

"The room is spelled for protection. You may now begin your practise," said Cate.

Around us the other kids began chatting, some reading from books, others lighting candles and whispering chants. They really believed that this was a witch's coven...

"Do you want to try a spell?" Cate asked. The boys hand tightened in mine and he spoke before I had the chance.

"Tracey," he said my name slowly and sarcastically as if he knew it wasn't my real name, "doesn't need spells to use her magic. She is a genetic witch."

How did this kid know about my mutation? "Actually, I'm a mutant," I said quickly. "I was born in Florida."

"No," said the boy, shaking his head irritably. "You're a genetic witch. I can See mutations and I can see that you inherited your powers from your father's side."

"Maybe my dad was a mutant too!" I argued, annoyed that this boy was pretending to know something about me.

"You're dad was a witch."

"What? Did you know him or something?" I said sarcastically. Cate laid her hand on my arm in an attempt to calm me.

"Peace, Tracey. This is James Haeckel, our resident Seer. He's rarely wrong. You should be pleased that he Sees you as a genetic witch. They are rare."

I hardly heard past her second sentence. Haeckel? Dizziness whooshed through my mind. As in General Haeckel? As in Liam Haeckel? Surely not! It was too much of a coincidence.

"So I'm a witch," I said, my words coming out a little slurred and shaky as I recovered from my shock. "Are you a genetic witch? Cate? James?"

"I'm not," said Cate with a pout.

"I am," said James, "as is my entire family. I can see that you've met my brother before, quite recently actually. He left some of his magical aura on you."

I tried to smile, to pretend I thought what he said was interesting, but instead my eyes rolled into the back of my head. And I fainted.