The Thief's Revenge - Ch 48 [there's no such thing as 'the end']

[Author's Note: I'll try to keep this short. This chapter is dedicated to Awesome Writer Paige. Liam would never put up a restraining order against you. . . YOU BETTER POST AGAIN SOON DAMMIT!]

Chapter Forty-Eight

There's no such thing as 'The End'

_____________________________

"I don't see why I have to sit through this," Liam growled grumpily. "Quit flirting with my girl!"

Luke, perched on the side of my gurney, grinned happily. "You owe me."

"Like hell I do!"

"I stopped your power from scaring the entire hospital and you caused me to lose consciousness."

"Weak," muttered Liam, pushing himself up onto his elbows so that he could fully glare at Luke. "And it's not like I had any control. I wasn't conscious myself."

"Blah blah blah, it's not like you can stop me anyway" Luke said dismissively. He leant back and smiled mischievously at me. "So, you're not really attached to this brute, are you? My cook would be better off for you, not to mention me. I mean, you've seen my house, you'd be comfortable." He moved his hands to either side of my stomach and leaned over me. I could see in his eyes that he was enjoying himself, and it wasn't because he was flirting with me. "I'd definitely keep you entertained..."

I drew my legs up and then shoved my feet into Luke's side, shoving him off the edge of my bed.

"Ah! Goddammit! Kayli, you got me right in the kidney!" he sputtered and pushed himself up angrily.

I stuck my tongue out at him and Liam chuckled softly. Luke glared at us both and stalked out the room. I glanced sidelong at Liam and he smirked back. I was glad he wasn't in a horrible mood. He was constantly irritable, he didn't like being bedridden and unmoving. I could see him fidgeting now, wanting to be up and jumping.

I scooted to the side of my bed and got down to sit on the stool beside his gurney. "A few more days and you'll be allowed to move around and we can be discharged."

He clasped his hands behind his hand and stared up at the ceiling. "And then what?"

It was a very serious question but he asked me in an amused tone.

I rested my elbows next to his hips and cupped my chin with my hands, giving him an impatient look. "You seem like you've already got an answer planned. Why don't you just spit it out?"

His lips spread and a smarmy grin formed. "I asked you. I want to hear your answer."

I huffed and rolled my eyes. I didn't want to say it. How embarrassing. 'I want to spend forever with you'. How cliché and soppy. That just wasn't me. I couldn't say it. I stuck out my chin.

"Oldest goes first," I said mulishly.

His eyes crinkled at the sides. "Ah, but it is always ladies first. And I am ever so gallant."

I snorted. "Are not."

"Don't you have an answer? Have you really not thought about what will happen after we're discharged...? As long as that bloody doctor actually sets us free. I mean, if I hadn't threatened him with assaulting an officer, he would've bloody well chained me to the bed by now. But haven't you thought at all about what's next?"

Had I thought about what would happen next? Oh, a thousand times and more. James had school and Donovan had therapy sessions but Paddy, Dan and Luke tried to keep me company most the time, especially when Liam was sleeping. But more often than not I was left with nothing but my own thoughts. And they nearly always turned to what would happen in the future. Or what Liam thought about the future. I was so nervous that I was afraid to speak, knowing my voice would come out shaky. I settled for glancing at him uninterestedly, attempting to look like I wasn't bothered at all. I could only hope.