The Thief's Revenge - Ch 15 [dublin at night]

Chapter Fifteen

Dublin At Night

__________________________

Liam left me at the airport with a wave of his fingers and a warning that if I didn't show up at his house the following morning than I could expect to be hunted down. I would show up for school tomorrow, I had no problem whatsoever going to the same school as James. What I had a problem with was Liam's bossiness. I would have to see him THREE TIMES A DAY! It was insane. I'd almost prefer to be in an actual prison than this false hope of freedom I had. What I hated about him even more was that he'd left me at the airport with no money, most likely knowing that I'd have to contact Fletch in order to go anywhere since Liam hadn't allowed me to grab any of my things back in Vietnam. And he probably had someone ready to catch out Fletch. Screw Liam, I was walking.

I stuck my hands in my pockets and walked out of the terminal entrance. It was strange, walking out of an airport, because no one else did. I had to cross several car parks to get to the exit, cars beeping me as I wasn't an expected obstacle. I ignored them and concentrated on deciding where I would stay. I couldn't stay with Morgan's family again. Liam might make a connection between them and Moro and I didn't want her to get roped into my trouble. There was nothing else I could do. I would have to find a motel that was willing to allow me to work for my room... if that was legal.

It took me hours to reach the city, not that I minded the long walk but I absolutely hated wasted time. I found the sorriest looking motel I could, one that seemed desperate for money and headed to the service desk. If they didn't have enough money to pay for their staff than maybe they'd be willing for me to work for a place to stay. To my surprise, the owner - a tall, willing-to-please man - had no problem helping me out. It turned out that his cleaner had recently walked out on him and no one else would take the job because it was such poor pay. He even offered me a little extra cash. So I had a new place to stay and a new job. The room I was given was tiny, nearly the same size as the adjoining bathroom, but it was a room. I flopped down on the bed with a sigh. I needed a really strong drink.

** **

It wasn't a popular pub but the sounds of the live band filled the place, giving it an Irish charm. It reminded me of one of the places I would go to with Bianca in Vietnam; most of the patrons were backpackers. I was sitting at the bar, pint of Guinness in hand, when a scruffy guy sat next to me, grinning adorably.

"I love a chic that drinks beer," he said. I was pleased to hear his Australian accent. I'd found that Aussie's made the best drinking buddies.

"At this moment in time, I'll drink anything that makes me light-headed," I said drily.

He chuckled. "Rough day then?"

"Damn straight."

He slapped a hand on my back. "Come and sit with some of my mates then. We'll cheer you up."

He didn't wait for me to answer, taking my wrist and nearly flinging me off my chair, he led me to his group of friends who looked up with grins and wolf-whistles.

"Now, now, mates. This Pom has had a shitter of a day so no teasing. I say we take her out for a good Aussie time."

They all roared happily, already drunk.

"Wait a minute!" said one of the girls, giggling. "Shots before we go! She doesn't look even a little bit tipsy!"

Like I said, great drinking buddies.

** **

The music at this place was so loud I couldn't hear anyone even as they yelled at me. It was fantastic. I no longer cared about how bad my moves were as I threw myself around the dance floor. The world was starting to blur and I couldn't quite remember how we had all gotten here but I'd never felt better. Or maybe I had. Or maybe I hadn't... This DJ was awesome. I jumped up and down on the spot, my beer frothing out the top and spilling onto my hand. It was going to be sticky later. All of a sudden I felt a hand wrap tightly around my arm and begin pulling me to the front door. I turned and saw Fletch, his face expressing anger and shock all mixed up.

"Fletch!" I cried out and stumbled forward to put my arms around him, stopping his exiting progress. We were further away from the speakers so he should be able to hear me. "I was going to call you but I didn't," I said, grinning conspiringly as if he knew what I was talking about.

"Kayli," he said sternly. "You're drunk. I need to get you out of here."

I shrugged and untangled myself from him. "Lead the way, good sir!" I said and pretended to gallop after him. I followed him across the road to his car; somehow he'd managed to get an amazing park.

"Get in Kayli," he said as he clicked open the doors. I slid in and rested my head back against the seat. My ears were ringing.

"I am so drunk," I groaned.

"I noticed," was all he said in return. He turned on the engine and began to drive away. "I don't know whether to talk to you now or let you sleep this off first."

I shot up and slapped the glove box. "I've got to get back to the motel. You can't be with me. He KNOWS."

"What the hell are you talking about, Kay? You can stay at mine."

"No. Stop the car, Fletch. I know I'm drunk but you've got to believe me when I say that Liam knows. He's looking for you but..." I struggled to stay coherent. "He found me. In Vietnam. And Bianca doesn't know. She probably freaked out."

"Kayli! Concentrate! What happened with Liam?" Fletch had slowed the car down and was now pulling over.

"He put a spell on me. And he knows where I am. And I have to go to James' school tomorrow morning. But to Liam's house first."

"WHAT?"

"Could you call me a cab? And hand me over some cash. I'm all out. And my motel is the crappy one on Genoday Drive." I opened the door and stepped out. Fletch had pulled out his wallet and handed me a bundle of cash. I really didn't know where he got all this from.

"Wait, Kayli. We need to talk. I'll meet you at the motel tomorrow. When will you be there?"

"After ten. Bye Fletch." I shut the door before he could say anything more. Thank God I hadn't gone home with him. Liam would've guessed who it was in a second.

My taxi pulled up barely minutes later.

"Where to, Miss?" asked the electronic driver.

"Genoday Drive," I said and then collapsed back against the seat with a quiet moan as we set off. I can't believe I was stupid enough to get drunk before my first day at a new school.