The Thief's Revenge - Ch 17 [way out of my comfort zone]

Chapter Seventeen

Way Outside My Comfort Zone

___________________

The school gates were black, metal bars, the ones that looked like spears with the pointy tips. I walked through them, cowed by their height. I definitely wouldn't be jumping the fence to wag at this school. The biggest thing I noticed, however, was that the students weren't hanging around in groups, waiting for the first bell to go. I had been to several new schools and there were always packs of kids, even if the bell was about to go. The school itself was painted a dark, ominous grey and had several levels. I looked around for the sign that would direct me to the student office.

"Well this is a fine new addition," drawled a voice behind me. He was definitely American, one of the overly cocky ones too I could tell. I didn't bother turning, not wanting to be disturbed by the 'jock' or the 'bad-boy rebel' or whoever he was. My eyes caught on a small sign. From this distance I could only make out a fuzzy line where the writing was but I sharpened my sight and saw 'Reception' with an arrow pointing to the centre of the school. I set off towards it, irritated when I felt the boy's presence following.

"What? Too good to make new friends?"

I thought about what Liam said. How I could help James out by being respected. If I talked to this guy than I might be able to work myself into the popular group. Should I take a slap at his ego or flirt? I asked myself. I stopped walking and turned to him.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't hear your clumsy, lumbering footsteps behind me..." I trailed off as I drank in his appearance. Huh. I had expected a beach bunny, surfer buff. Instead he was slim, only a few inches taller than me and ghostly pale. His black hair was shortish at the back with a slightly longer fringe. And he was giving me the 'are-you-done-staring' look with his powder blue eyes. He was pretty damn good-looking.

"You look even better up front," he said with a white-toothed grin. Did he not get that I just insulted him?

You too... I thought. Out loud I said, "Thanks for the compliment, hotshot, but I'm not looking around for a guy." I was going for disdain but some of it came out dreamy. I prayed that he didn't notice. I was attempting to play hard to get but I'd never really had the practise. Actually, now that I think about it, the closest I'd had to a boyfriend in the past year had been Donovan.

"No? I'll have to change your mind then," he said and winked at me. Actually winked. No one did that these days. I was charmed. I watched him walk away, held my drool inside my mouth, and wished that I'd just flirted with him. We could be in an abandoned classroom by now, having an all-out snog-fest. Sigh. I really needed some action.

I stepped into Reception and the 'prison' theme continued. There were no comfy chairs for those who had to wait, only a wide screen television hanging on the wall. It flickered on and a depressed-looking man looked down on me with a bored expression.

"You're the new girl, Kayli Hunter? Prime-Lieutenant Haeckel has pre-delivered your schedule. It is printing out now." A slip of paper slid out of a gap in the wall. I picked it up.

Period One: World History and Politics

Period Two: Weapons Use and Care

Break 15 mins

Period Three: Fitness (cardio & weights)

Period Four (Advanced Genetic): Developing Your Skill.

Lunch 60 mins

Period Five (elective): Espionage (History)

Period Six (elective): Espionage 101