The Thief's Revenge - Ch 28 [sydney at night]

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Sydney at Night

_________________

The first thing that hit me as I left the T1 Terminal of Sydney Airport, trailing after the driver, was the dry heat. The sun had already set but there was no moist, cool air. I glanced up to the sky and was shocked to see no clouds. It was a stunningly beautiful night. I thought it was meant to be the start of winter here! I laughed aloud, causing the driver to give me a funny look.

The second thing that hit me, as I slid into the gloomy town car, was that I was alone. Even in Vietnam, when I had travelled there by myself, I hadn't felt this lonely. I wished that Liam had at least driven with me to the hotel so that we could have talked about my 'date'. I didn't know what to say, I couldn't betray Luke, but Liam would hear the truth when I said it wasn't a date, that Luke and I had no intimate relationship. The driver was silent the entire way to the hotel, increasing my depressed mood. I needed some company, somebody to talk to. I suddenly wished that I could call Bianca. She was the only friend I'd had that would talk boys with me. But I'd never asked her for her number because she had lived directly above me.

Suddenly I had a brainwave as I looked out the window to the lamp lit road.

"Excuse me, driver?" I called out politely. His eyes rose to connect with mine, showing that he'd heard.

"Would you be able to drop me off at a popular night club, or just a road with a lot of pubs and bars?" I asked. The voice inside my head derided me, saying that last time I had gone out was also Liam's fault and that I had to stop running from emotion by drinking alcohol. I ignored it.

He shook his head. "The lieutenant was specific. He said you were only to go to the InterContinental and that I was to escort you right up to your room."

"Are you serious?" I exclaimed. Talk about trust issues! Guilt wheedled its way into my head. Of course he wouldn't trust me, I'd done nothing but keep secrets for the whole time we'd known each other.

"Err, you don't have to worry about the whole 'escorting me to my room' thing. I'll find my way there."

The driver caught my eye and raised his brow. "He was adamant."

** **

The suite, yes suite, was stunning. Views of the Opera House and the harbour made my jaw drop. But while it was spacious and modern, it seemed so empty. I opened the mini-bar, which wasn't really 'mini' and took out a bottle of James Squire Golden Ale. I would drink this while I waited for the driver to make his way out and then I would head out. There had to be a bar nearby, I was in the midst of the city for God's sake. And I had to get out of here.

I sculled the last few mouthfuls and headed out the door, taking the key card with me. I felt nervous as I stood in the elevator, waiting for it to reach the ground floor. What if Liam had arrived and the doors opened to reveal him in the foyer? He would look at me with those emotionless eyes and exude disappointment. My palms were sweating as the lift dinged and the door slid open. I sighed, relieved to find the room relatively empty. I walked confidently toward the entrance, a doorman scurrying to open the door for me.

"Erm, Miss Hunter?" he squeaked.

I raised my brows. "Yes?"

"Um, Mr, I mean Lt. Haeckel gave us instructions to tell you to stay indoors." He tugged on his collar nervously. I presumed that Liam's 'instructions' had probably been barked orders. Poor guy, I hoped Liam wouldn't be mad at him when I wasn't where I was supposed to be.

I beamed at him. "It's perfectly alright. I'm just going to a convenience store to pick up a few things."

"We have an excellent selection of -"