The Thief's Revenge - Ch 14 [is this it?]

Chapter Fourteen

Is This It?

__________________

If my hands weren't handcuffed behind my back I would've slapped him. How dare he make such a blasé comment about my birthday! Not that I had remembered that it was today... How vague of me. I closed my eyes tightly shut and reopened them. I could feel myself going into shock. As I found out at my first meeting with Liam, I was not good at being snuck up on. And being caught in my hideaway was not fun either. I tried to blast him with some magic, forming a heavy wall in my mind but I felt nothing, no energy running through me. A little voice in the back of my mind told me that the handcuffs were spelled. He WOULD think ahead.

"How the hell did you find me?" I said as he pulled me out of the apartment beside him.

"I told you I was I good. And you?" he chuckled lightly, "...not so good. I was following this lead I had on a Tracey and Matthew Fitzgerald, apparently had the same appearances as you and your friend. Saw that you'd enrolled in a nearby school so I cased the place. I got confirmation on my guess from a nice girl named Tatiana. Seems you told her your name was Kayli. Funny how things slip your mind, huh?"

I nearly choked on my own saliva as I forgot to swallow. Had I really been stupid enough to tell that gossip my real name? I truly was an idiot.

"And then I found out from the same girl that you went to a 'coven' as well. I thought she was pulling my leg. Kayli Hunter? Did she really think she was a witch?"

We were out on the street now and I noticed plenty of familiar faces glancing my way. I tried sending pleading glances but all they saw were the handcuffs. A black sedan pulled up next to us and he opened the back door and shoved me inside. Then he slid in beside me, tapping on the screen that separated us from the driver. The car set off.

"Where was I? Ah, yes. My brilliant deciphering skills."

I had a feeling that he was just feeding off the rush that he'd gotten by finally catching up to me and that he wasn't going to stop talking soon. I zoned out until I heard him say a name that got my attention.

"...James seemed different when I go back. I'd ask him if he felt your aura nearby but he avoided the question... several times."

I looked over to him but he was looking out the tinted window. His face was tired and weary; his adrenalin high must have faded. In fact, he seemed contemplative.

"He seemed to believe that you saved him from trouble..."

He turned the intenseness of his eye contact onto me. I was caught in his stare and couldn't look away. I felt my heart flicker in my chest, a warm tickle that ran through my body. Dammit! Why did I always have to react like this?

"But why would you help the brother of the person you were casing?" he wondered aloud.

I didn't answer. He still thought that I'd been stalking him so James must not have told him about Donovan.

He leaned closer, frowning. I was sure that he could hear my heart thrumming in my chest. What was he doing? Was he going to kiss me? His hand reached behind my back and unlocked my cuffs, everywhere his fingers brushed sparked with heat. I took deep breaths to stop myself from panting like a moron. Snap out of it!

"Medesino bandaynes," he whispered and I felt a jolt of electricity run up my arms. He leaned back with a smirk.

Idiot! Of course he wasn't going to kiss me! I yanked my gaze off of him and ran my hands up and down my tingling arms.

"What did you do?" I demanded. It was making my skin itchy.

"Don't worry about the skin irritation; it'll fade away in a moment. Just don't itch it."