The morning after

Sleep overtook me the second I closed my eyes.  It only seemed like minutes before I opened them again.  It was now morning and the birds were chirping outside my window.  I was still laying with my head on Sebastian's chest.  I raise up and kiss him gently on the lips. 

   "Good morning love," he says as he opens his eyes and smiles at me.  "A good morning indeed," I reply.  I hear a giggle and then there is a tap on the door.  "Come in," I say, after quickly putting my clothes back on.  "Happy Birthday," Pookie says as she bursts in my room with a cupcake with a single pink candle lit on top of it.  She was followed in by Dimitri, Eithan, and my mom, who looked alittle awkward.  I guess seeing her seventeen year old daughter laying next to a man with no shirt on wasn't what she expected.  Sebastian sits up and excuses himself to put his shirt on. 

   "Well, make a wish," Pookie says, bouncing on her hills.  I close my eyes and wish that today will be an extra special day with no life changing drama.  We seem to have that happen more often then not here lately.  I blow out my candle and ask, "Where's Sid?"  "He's downstairs finishing up making breakfast," my mother says.  "We'll leave you two to get ready and you can meet us downstairs in a minute.  Happy birthday sweetheart," my mother says then hugs me tight, "I've wanted so long to be able to tell you that." "You'll never have to miss another one," I say, then hug my mother again.

   "We'll be downstairs shortly," Sebastian says, as everyone leaves the room.  "Wow, I didn't expect that," I say, alittle surprised, "With all that's been going on I didn't expect anyone to even remember."  "This is your day love, of course we remember," Sebastian says, then kisses me on the forehead.  "You getting a shower first or should I," he asks.  "How about we take one together," I say, feeling myself blush alittle.  "Even better," Sebastian says, then scoops me up and carries me to the bathroom. 

    I was sad to see that Lonna and Lyza were still asleep when we got downstairs.  Neither one of them have moved at all.  "No change huh," Sebastian asks, as we sit down at the table.  "Nope," Sidney says, "I think they may be in a coma.  Seems like they would've at least moved around alittle if they're only asleep."  "Do you think they'll wake up," Pookie asks.  "Can't say," Dimitri says," All we can really do is wait."   Waiting is definitely not one of my favorite things to do.

   After breakfast my mother and I decided to go for a walk.  Of course Dimitri and Sebastian made us promise to stay close, such worriers.  I actually liked the idea of some alone time with my mother.  We haven't really spent much time alone since she got here. 

   "I see now that you and Sebastian are pretty serious," mother says.  I feel myself blushing.  "Your not going to give me the birds and the bee's talk are you," I say, and we both laugh.  "No dear, I trust that your foster parents took care of that long ago," she says looking alittle uncomfortable.  "We waited almost a year before letting anything happen," I assure her.  "That's good, you love him I can see that," she says.  "I do, I think maybe I have since the very first day.  There's just something about him, I feel like I'm suppose to be with him," I say.  "It's a great feeling.  I use to feel that way about your father, long ago," mother says.  "You never talk about him so I decided that I wouldn't bring him up unless you did," I say.  "Would you like to talk about your father dear?," she asks.  "Only if your okay with it," I say, alittle nervous.

   "Me and your father met when I was only sixteen.  I loved him almost instantly.  He was so handsome and a real man's man.  He liked hunting and fishing with the boys, he always made time for the sweet things with me though.  We use to take long walks and talk for hours.  We'd have picnics at least once a week.  He was so romantic," my mother says.  "What made that change," I ask, already regretting what the answer may be.  "Well, you see Susie, my gifts started coming to light right after I started seeing your father but I hid them from him.  They didn't come to me quite as strongly as you've explained that your's have but still, they came.  I was afraid to tell him, I was afraid he would think I was crazy or that I was a freak.  Then not long after I turned seventeen your father introduced me to Dimitri.  He was and still is so beautiful to me," my mother blushed but continued, "We hung out with Dimitri and Sebastian a lot.  Your father had joined the military and was serving with Dimitri.  I really liked Sebastian, but there was just something about Dimitri, I felt drawn to him.   Eventually, I told him about my gifts.  He was so easy to talk to, unlike your father.  It wasn't long before your father became suspicious that Dimitri and I may be having an affair.  Which I assure you, we were not.  He came in one afternoon throwing a tantrum.  He drug me out of the house and was pushing me towards the car when I fell down the front steps to Dimitri's house.  Before I could hit the ground, Dimitri caught me and stood me back  on my feet.  I knew what Dimitri was but your father had no idea.  Once he saw how quickly Dimitri moved, the truth was out.  Your father was furious.  He tried to grab me again only this time I hit him with the same blue light you have.  He went flying across the yard.  Once I realized what I had done I ran to help him up.  He wouldn't even let me touch him.  He looked at me like he was looking at a stranger.  He told me we were leaving and of course I went, after all he was my husband.  I never imagined that he would be taking me straight to the institute.  I was nearly full term in my pregnancy.  I never would've thought that he would leave me there but he did.  They took you from me right after you were born.  I only got to hold you one time.  I named you Susie, I'm so glad that you were able to keep that name," she finished her story and looked the saddest I've ever seen.  I reach over and take my mother's hand.  "It's okay, we're together now and that's not going to change," I say, "Do you know what ever became of my father?," I ask.  "No dear, I sure don't.  Dimitri told me that he thinks he died serving in the military because no one has seen or heard from him for all these years, but I'm not sure," she wipes a tear that escaped her sad eyes. 

   "I know what might cheer us both up," I say, as I start leading my mother back towards the house.  "I say we go back to the house and work on our gifts alittle.  It's always fun throwing Eithan around," I say and we both laugh.  I love hearing my mother laugh, it's so much better then seeing her so sad.  I decide then and there that I will make it a point to not bring up my father anymore.  The memories are too painful for her and I don't want her to hurt for anything after all that she's been through. 

   As we come closer to the house me and my mother both yell.  "Come on out here boys, time for us to kick your cute little butts."  The guys come out with big smiles on their faces.  "I thought you'd never ask, " says Eithan, as he charges towards both of us. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The photo to the right is Susie's dad, Dimitri, and Sebastian.  Enjoy the chapter and please, please comment!  Thank you!