Dimitri and Reana

Me and Sebastian sat on the couch facing the girls.  They were asleep but there was no way they were being left alone.  Dimitri comes out of the kitchen carrying coffee for us.  Our shift to watch Darla and Lyza started at two a.m. so coffee was exactly what we needed. 

   Dimitri sat across from us in his favorite chair.  It sort of reminded me of a kings throne.  The back of it was tall and straight,  the arms of it were round, and it looked like it was made of satin.  No one ever sat in it except for Dimitri.  I guess everyone felt the same as me...it looks like a chair made only for him.  Silly I know, I guess getting up at two o'clock has made me alittle easier to be amused by silly things. 

   Sebastian pulled me closer to him.  I snuggled up against him and put my legs in his lap.  I know we've been together for almost a year now but I still can't believe how close we came to making love last night.  We have takin things very slow these past months.  With so many things happening around us, we were usually just happy to be together and in one piece.  And he finally told me he loves me.  I've wanted to tell him for so long now but it never seemed like the right time.  I guess we both just thought that things would happen when they were suppose to. 

   My thoughts were interrupted when Dimitri cleared his throat and says, "Susie, I would like to talk about your mother,"  I was completely caught off guard by this.  "What about her?," I ask.  "Lonna says that you don't know where she is, yet you've spoken with her," he says with a concerned look. 

   "We can visit each others dreams.  I'm not sure how to control it just yet but the last time it happened she told me that it was me that had brought her into my dream," I say, hoping he may be able to explain it to me. 

   Dimitri got up and started to pace the floor.  "What are these dreams like?  How does Reana look?  Does she know where she is or do they  keep her too drugged all the time?," Dimitri says then stops pacing, waiting for me to answer.

   "The first two times we were in her room.  I didn't know that she is my mother until the second visit.  I'm not sure why I didn't see it the first time, we look like we could be twins."  Dimitri smiled at this and sat back down putting his elbows on his knees, waiting for me to continue.  "I've asked her several times to tell me where she is so that we can come rescue her but she says that she's not strong enough.  I must say though, the last dream I had when I had pulled her into mine, she looked better then any of our other visits.  She told me that I was gifted in ways that helped us to visit whenever we wanted to.  I just haven't learned how to control them just yet.  It seems to only happen when I'm really upset."

   Dimitri looked at me with a sad look on his face.  "Has your mom mentioned me at all?  I thought she was dead.  All these years I've mourned for her and she's been locked up in an institute somewhere.  It infuriates me to no end knowing that I never got to tell her how I feel about her.  You see, I was friends with your father.  That is, until he found out that your Reana had her gifts.   I honestly thought that he may have killed her then ran away.  I knew that she was pregnant when she disappeared but I never imagined that you could be her daughter.  The resemblance is uncanny but I just thought that I imagined you looking like Reana because I still miss her so much.  I guess it wasn't my imagination at all." Dimitri began to play with his hands.  It was almost as if he couldn't bare to look at me while he spoke so personally about my mother.

   I sat up straight and Sebastian put his hand my back.  His touch is always so comforting.  "You say you knew my father?  All I know about him is that he didn't approve of my mother's gifts so he had her committed and convinced the doctors at the institute that she was crazy.  He's kept her locked up my whole life.  He didn't even care enough about me to keep me.  I've grown up my whole life thinking that the couple that raised me were my parents.  I always wondered why it was so easy for them to just ship me off the a boarding school.  They never even tried  to figure out why I went from a normal teenager to one with night terrors. But now I know, it's because I was a burden that they adopted.  I was never really their child."  I look down at my hands.  " I'm not even sure I want to know who my father is.  He gave me away like I was nothing."  I hadn't noticed I had started crying until Sebastian leaned up and put his arms around me, telling me that it was alright.